Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW helmet must be on when?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by kuro, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

sorry this might sound silly, but some guys at my work are doing a commercial which shows a guy get on his bike (its parked legally), he then turns the bike on and he sits there for a while. Does he legally need to put on his helmet because the bike is on? or can he sit there for a while as the bike is stationary?

2. In Vic its rule 270

270 Wearing motor bike helmets
    (1) The rider of a motor bike that is moving, or is stationary but not parked, must—
    (a) wear an approved motor bike helmet securely fitted and fastened on the rider's head; and
  3. If the stand is down I would deem it as parked
  4. I guess it would have to come down to the legal definition of parked...
  5. yeah im guessing its a grey area which hasnt been absolutely defined?
  6. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/doingbusinesswithus/downloads/technicalmanuals/rpav2_i.pdf

NSW defines parking as stopping the vehicle and allowing it to stay (whether the driver leaves or stays)

This is NSW but I would hazard a guess that VIC would be very similar if not exactly the same.

Not too sure of the requirements with ads but it may not be only where it is filmed, it may be whether it is legal where it's shown. It may be whether it is legal anywhere, than it can be said that it was made for that market, surely the ad where the 'motorbike console' car attacks bikers shows illegal activity?
  7. That would mean tha you could be done for pushing your bike. I have been pulled over when pushing my bike along the footpath with no helmet (pushed i a couple of kms as quicker than a tow). They just wanted to check i hadnt stolen it.
  8. Same VC when my clutch wear plates had enough :p.
    Always got my helmet on before i get on the bike unless im using it as an exercise bike and pushing it.....
  9. I believe you can as you are in control of the bike!
  10. It is good exercise.