Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmet mods?? rules?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by shady_knife, Oct 18, 2008.

1. are there any rules, laws ect on modding your helmet? seeing as they have those stickers saying aus certified or whatever, i assume you can't go drilling holes in them ect, but what about glueing shit on ect? anyone done anything like this before? anyone point in the direction i should be looking?

2. I dont see why you can't stick shit on. As long as it doesn't alter the structural components you should be fine.
  3. I stuck shit to mine. Does a brilliant job of keeping the flies off me chips :grin: .
  4. Now THAT'S comedy. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  5. idea kind of is.. at the moment...

buy a cheapish helmet, long as it fits really
    then make it into a kind of post apocalyptic style helmet, gas mask, visor thingy.

adding pipes, vents (probable fake ones), wires maybe (think back of old daft punk helmets), general whack shit realy, but kind of the post apocalyptic look.

ie: mad max / fallout tactics ect. see pics.

kind of what im getting at.

6. may i ask, what for
  7. for fun.... why else? lol
  8. My record shows that I'm no nana when it comes to helmets, but you do need to be aware of a few things before you go down this road.

Extra stuff stuck on will up the helmet's weight, making it less comfortable and, more importantly, placing greater loads on your neck in a crash.

Extra stuff sticking out has the potential to catch on things in a crash.

Looking excessively freaky will attract everyone's attention. Everyone will include your friendly local constabulary. Even if you leave the all important AS sticker in place, even the thickest copper will be able to see that your lid didn't leave the factory looking like that. You may find yourself in the position of having to prove that it continues to comply with the relevant standard. The cost and difficulty of doing so will make the alternative of 3 points and $150 look attractive.

I'm not saying don't do it. Just be aware of the potential downsides. Done right it'd look f'in ace.

But what's with the f'in poofter stance of the bloke in the Mad Max poster?
  9. looks like his also sporting a hard on, no idea pat. :p

but yeah, thanks for the heads up, will look into it.
  10. have fun making headchecks with a bucket like that on your head :p
  11. Painting??

How about painting the helmet? Is there anyone in Aus that does it?
  12. oooooh, the child in my mind LOVES Star Wars!
  13. That's Awesome! I have a full size Stormtrooper costume at home. I don't think the helmet would be up to AS Standards though. Gotta get me one of those.
  14. I think I speak for everyone here when I say, "Pics or it didn't happen". :grin:

(Add one to your garage!)
  15. Wait up....no reason you couldnt put little red glowing strips on your visor. so long as they only face outwards you could get a mental affect, especially on a tinted visor :p

Provided they didnt obstruct vision too much somehow. Maybe put them above the visor or on helmet graphics.
  16. Do it, but you'd better have a shit hot rat/survivalist bike. Wearing that on a new CBR600 would look gay.

In fact, do it and I'll buy a hunk of shit dress like that and come for a ride with ya.
  17. Yeah ride ya bike with the costume and the painted helmet.
    You could pretend to be riding through the forest of Endor.

(Just make sure you watch out for ewoks!!!)
  18. wahaha. tron bike.
  19. File's too big for the garage, so here it is. Can hardly see through the eyes, so don't think I'll be wearing it on the road.