Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmet Maintenance...its a must do....

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by Rogues, Feb 3, 2009.

1. With all the hot weather we've been having lately it was definitely a must do to clean up the helmet and guys...........its one of the best things you could do........

i've got a Shoei X11 so easier for me than some admittedly but..........had it just on a year, has formed to the face well but def getting sweaty. :(
    Took the inner lining out, put said lining in the wife's stocking bag and dumped it in the machine.......hung to dry in the shade and put it back in.

Rather than leave till its that grotty and compressed that you feel like throwin' it, do it regular and I can see it being worthwhile,.... has rejuvenated the lining, plumping it out again and it feels like a new helmet. :grin:

Just thought I'd share for what its worth.......
    Rogues

2. did that on the weekend already when I did my weekly washing. And don't forget to wash your riding gloves too, coz in this weather, they tend to get a little ripe smelling :wink:

3. Jeez tell me about it. I left my gloves in my top box at work and come knock off time, upon opening the box you could almost hear the air say 'eeeviiilll' as the smell wafted out.

4. i will be doing this tonight i think.. only one side of my head sweats due to radiation treatment a few years back so all my hats, beanies an helmet are nice and sweet on the right side but somewhat less pleasant on the left..pitty i can only get the cheek pads and straps out of mine.

5. Yea, I"ll be washing my helmet this weekend when the temps are in the mid-30's > 40's.

That's the only time the lining will dry properly. :p

I use washing powder and water in a bucket.
    Soaks right in for a deep wash.

6. How do you clean a liner that isn't removable?

7. go for a swim :p

8. How do you clean your gloves? I ride fairly often and mine are starting to get pretty grotty inside.

9. u can hand wash them . with a damp clothe :wink: