Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmet hits shoulder armour when checking blind spot!!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Mel:), Jul 12, 2009.

1. Hi all! I'm new to the forum and just started riding not long ago. I just bought a new jacket with shoulder and elbow armour in it. I took it for a spin and found when I turn my head to check my blind spot or do a u turn my helmet hits the shoulder armour and prevents me from checking properly! Was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem or has any ideas to overcome this?? I've taken the armour out for now but the reason I bought the jacket was so I'd have more protection. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanx :)

2. Checking blind spot? Isn't that a cager thing? :wink:

How far are you trying to get your head around? I hope you're not expecting to see anywhere behind parallel with your shoulders, you'd have to turn your head way too far and take your eyes off the road for way too long to actually do that. I only check my sides when I've lost track of a car that I know is close to me. Sometimes I just tap my mirror out a bit to see what's there.
  3. This is pretty much completely different to how I and from discussions i'd have to say most riders do things. I'm always looking around , and there are times you have to look over an opposing shoulder while leaned over...
  4. Yeah it happens.

Try lifting your head slightly before turning it.

Works for me ;)
  5. A blind spot is any place you cant see in front or with your mirrors, so if you don’t check yours then you are asking to become roadkill.
    You don’t want someone to take there eyes off the road for the moment it takes to do a full headcheck, but you are willing to take your hands off the bars long enough to adjust your mirrors to suite…
    You have a really warped view of how to stay alive.
  6. Thanks for your thoughts guys. I'll have to give them another go but be more conscious of them by lifting my head more before turning to look. Theres no way I'd change lanes or anything without a head check. I've been driving long enough and have made a few small mistakes and I know just relying on your mirrors isn't the smartest way to go. It only takes a few seconds to get distracted by something and for somebody to get in your blind spot.
    If the weathers nice tomorrow I'll chuck em back in my jacket and try again :)
  7. lift your arm up quickly and use the mirror!
  8. This might be a stupid suggestion, but are your shoulders and arms relaxed when you ride. You shouldn't need to hold on to the bike with your arms so they should be relaxed. If you are holding on tight with your arms you might be tensing your sholders upwards, which won't help.
  9. It’s not a stupid suggestion at all
    Having your chin ducked (Not lifting your head (As outlined by Vic))
    Or having tense shoulders are probably the two biggest reasons I can see for this sort of issue.
  10. just let go of the side you are turning to, allowing you to pull back your shoulder, and open up the view/rotation for the head.

or to get a similar effect, lean in with the opposite shoulder, thus turning your upper torso still, so you can see more. plus you're not letting go if that's a worry.

i just do whatever i need to do, to be able to see all around me. if you're in a situation described by legion, where you're screwed if you take your eyes off the road in front for a split second, then you've put yourself in a stupid position to begin with.
  11. Your joking...aint ya?

Obviously if you can't take your eyes off what's happening in front of you, you have to wait till you can, but when you can, and if you need to, you take a good look into your blond spot, and make sure of what's there.

To the OP...
    Firstly...you should always know what's sitting in your blind spot, but we are'nt perfect, and things can change rapidly when we are attentive to something else. So it becomes necessary.

If you are looking to the right, then tilt your head a little to the left as you turn...Or...swivel your right shoulder back and behind you to give you more room.
    On the Blade I can't just turn my head in the winter gear, so I will look down and right...semi upside down to get a good view, and even lift my elbow up out of the way to do so, if necessary.

Assuming you are'nt going to lose control by doing it, you do whatever you need to, to get a good view.
    the jacket and shoulder armor problem is also something you will get used to.

Turn your mirros out to cover the blind spot...what is directly behind you is of lesser importance most of the time, and you can lean out to the mirrors to check that since you don't have to turn your head.... Ride the percentages.

12. This might be a silly question but...

Do you have a neck, or does your head attach straight to your torso?
  13. Get that shoulder armour back in right now. My jacket tore/ripped/burst on the shoulder in my off yesterday. Without that armour there, I wouldn't have come away without a solitary scratch to my body.
  14. Depends on your riding style, I tend to head check under my arm. Lift elbow a touch and look down towards the ground behind the rear wheel.
  15. I had some similar issues when I stepped up from scooter to bike. I think the riding position has a lot to do with it.

Some things that work very well for me are:
    1. once you are on the bike adjust your riding gear again - my back pad tends to shift my jacket up when I get on so before moving off I pull the back of it down, it could just be this thats causing the shoulder pads to get in your way (also good to have a look at your pants as well especially in wet weather as getting on also lifts the cuffs of my pants)
    2. If you haven't done 1, I find bringing your elbow in closer to your torso lowers your shoulder and doesn't effect the hold of the bars.
    3. You may look weird but just sit on your bike (in the driveway or whatever) and try to do some head checks in different positions ie more upright or greater lean forward, move your arms to different positions etc to see what works.
  16. Its also more difficult if you have to reach for the bars and have short arms.

You just need to move your neck and duck your shoulder a bit bit to bypass the armour.