Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmet fit causing cauliflower ear?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by RedHelmet, Jan 11, 2013.

1. This last week I've noticed a swelling in the upper cartilage of one ear. It's about the size of a moderate mozzie bite and possibly fluid-filled but without any pain or itch, actually no abnormal sensation other than the swelling. I haven't taken a hit to the ear or do anything such as a contact sport.

I wear glasses with my helmet and I'm wondering could the pressure from the helmet cause such swelling? Otherwise could such a thing happen when my ears get folded just as I pull the helmet on? (My ears aren't folded when the helmet is finally on.)

I've got a doctors appointment in a few days so I am getting it checked out. Just wondering if anyone has heard of such a condition caused by a helmet.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mate good idea see a doctor. Could be skin cancer even

3. Obviously the Doctor appointment is important, but after first laughing at this thread I looked it up and it seems cauliflower ear can be caused from the repetitive bending/folding. Wow. I learneded somethings. I thought it really took a serious blow to cause it.

4. My ears will fold over sometimes if I don't slide my helmet on at the right angle, feels very uncomfortable.

5. Just take up MMA so at least you have a cool story for having cauliflower ear.

Not going to be cool telling chicks you have cauliflower ear from putting on and taking off your helmet multiple times a day.