Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmet Exemptions for some Bicycle Riders in Qld

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by NSSherlock, Apr 23, 2013.

1. http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/04/should-bike-riders-have-to-wear-helmets/

I wonder if this will extend to Motorcycles.
    Pretty dumb that you can't wear a non-ADR helmet but there is an exemption for wearing a helmet at all on religious grounds.
    Maybe we should start a religion that opposes the purchase of ADR helmets - assuming the law will extend to motorcycles.

2. I wonder if it will come with a section about suing the govt if your loved one gets a brain injury or dies because they were told they could ride without a helmet - by law.

idunno.. to each thier own, but I'd prefer to protect my grey matter over abiding by a religious belief.
  3. I think SA still has a helmet exemption for sikh motorcyclists (up to 50kph).

On a bicycle the turban is probably as effective as some of those styrofoam basins anyway. Maybe more so ...

but the burning question is >>> should turbans be subject to Aussie Standards :wideyed:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. In Australia, exemptions from wearing helmets on religious grounds are for those riding bicycles.

Refer to South Australia's Road Safety Act 1961 - Sect 162A.

(1) A person must not ride, or ride on, a wheeled recreational device or wheeledtoy unless the person is wearing a safety helmet that complies with the regulations and is properly adjusted and securely fastened.

4) This section does not apply to or in relation to a person who rides, rides on or is carried on a wheeled recreational device or wheeled toy where that person—

(a) is of the Sikh religion; and
    (b) is wearing a turban.

For motorcycle helmets, refer to Reg 270.

5. The law should apply to everyone religious or not.
  6. +1 Why should religious belief hold more sway than personal belief?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. The law is ridiculous and is the perfect example of a solution looking for a problem. European bicycle use is much higher, the cost to society of a head injury is much the same and yet all (as far as I'm aware) Euro countries have rejected bicycle helmet laws. As far as I know, none of them are seeing bicycle head injury carnage.
  8. As far as I know Australia is the only country in the world with mandatory cycle helmet laws.

There's a school of thought that the decline in head injury's since the introduction are mainly due to the reduction in cycle use since.
  9. The relevant Qld Gov minister confirmed the "new" exemption did NOT apply to motorbikes.
    He said the intent was to bring Qld in line with what the southern states were already doing.

It doesn't bother me in the least anyway. I need my pushy' helmet to ward off the nesting maggies!

(We were told in Paris a couple of years ago, that cyclists were supposed to wear helmets but it was not enforced. Didn't see any of them wearing helmets. It was a French tour guide who told us so we just took it on face value.)
  10. Well darn ... I knew I had read something that said something along those lines but I was sure it said motorbikes ... Maybe it was an old version I read or more likely I read it wrong :ROFLMAO: ... oh well, never mind.

I still want to know if they will need a certification sticker for their turbans

11. Maybe you've come across Lawstuff South Australia Fractalz. They say:

All motorcycle riders and passengers in South Australia must wear approved motorcycle helmets.

A motorcycle rider will be fined and will lose demerit points for riding without a helmet themselves, or for carrying a passenger under the age of 16 who does not wear a helmet.

A parent or guardian who gives permission for a child under 16 to ride or be carried on a motorcycle without wearing a helmet could also be fined.

A passenger will be fined for not wearing a helmet if they are over 16.

The only exceptions are:
    • if you belong to the Sikh religion and you wear a turban, or
    • if you can show that there are “special reasons” why you cannot wear a helmet.

Devout Sikhs are allowed exemption from wearing motorcycle helmets in UK, Hong Kong, and Canadian provinces (British Columbia & Manitoba).

Hansard January 1975 (House of Lords):
    Motor-Cycle Crash Helmets (Religious Exemption) Act 1976.

12. hmmm ... maybe :unsure: ... mind you I distinctly remember reading that 50 kph was mentioned ... maybe I imagined it, or they have snuck in and changed it while I wasn't looking :ROFLMAO:
  13. You can't really prove or disprove that a person truly believes in what he claims to be his personal belief. Whereas you can prove that you are indeed a follower of a certain religion.
  14. That's evidence of belief not value of belief.

Obviously the Sikh god didn't want his followers to ride bikes.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. True, but said evidence is what sort of plugs the otherwise gaping legal loophole. I don't believe the lawmakers truly care about value of beliefs.
  16. Or simply don't have the loophole in the first place
  17. ISTR New Zealand, Canada and some US States have mandatory bicycle helmet requirements. However, if their motorcycle helmet laws are anything to go by, I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the US make a distinction between adults and children.

The rest of the world, though, seems to get by just fine without forcing cyclists to wear inverted potties.
  18. Yes, in some parts of the world the only cyclists getting by wearing inverted potties were in the force... and this seems just fine! :D

19. That ties in nicely with my belief that police officers, rather than being encouraged to dress like fascist stormtroopers, should be made to look faintly ridiculous :).
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1