Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmet etiquette?...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by eve, Jul 21, 2008.

1. I strolled down to a major bike shop on Elizabeth street during my lunch break as I usually do to drool over shiny new bikes outside my affordability bracket (and to find myself a pair of winter gloves) when in came another female rider who explained to the solicitous sales man that she just got her learners and needed head to foot gear.

Ok - so far so good.

After picking out a pair of draggin cargos, and alpine gloves he proceeded to asked her what colour helmet she was after. He then pointed out everything in that colour (silver for those who are curious).

Now - correct me if I'm wrong, but I was asked to choose my helmet based on comfort using the process of elimination - and had to try on at least 10 before a selection was made! I left with sore ears from all the trial and errors and landed the ugliest, yet most comfortable one for my head!

She did not try on ONE helmet… as she was told that they are all the same 'feel' just the colour and price range.

Errrr…. Eh?

Lets hope that Shoei serves her well as her sales man did not...

2. Mmmmmm now could I guess which "large shop" employs useless sales staff?

:p

3. The sales guy is a sales person after all, not a doctor prescribing medicines. He also doesnt have a duty of care at the end of the day.

The girl in question on the other hand should have known better to at least try the helmet on. Maybe she said she didnt want to mess up her hair so she wouldnt bother trying it on.

Not saying it is unreasonable to expect good advice/service from a sales guy, but at the end of the day they are there to sell and make money.

Everyones expectations on service will vary.

4. I know when I bought my helmet there was plenty of time spent trying different ones to find one that felt right. Color was of little importance when it came to buying.

Makes you think its all about sales and not so much about helpful advice

5. Other than Coles, Myer, Safeway, K-mart... (List to continue)... ?

I dont know what the return policy is for helmets, but I'd be shattered to get home and not be able go for a test ride due to some lazy s.o.b ...

Who in their right mind would sell a helmet saying 'ah hell, they are all the same so choose the prettiest' ?

:mad:

6. Deleted double post

7. Not a legal duty, what about a moral one?

Maybe she had 3 hours experience? Maybe she was relying on an "expert" to help?

Maybe. Another way to look at it, is they are there to help, and make money in the process.

Agreed, but what happened to good old fashioned minimum standards of service?

8. triple post!! :LOL:

9. As she referred to the visor as the plastic 'thingy' i'm sure she probably didnt have that much experience. I know i didnt either at the start - and thats why we rely on experts advice.

I was a little disappointed that he picked up the most expensive on and said they all fit the same, its just about price range and colour

Infact if i didnt have my suit on i would have been tempted to go kung fu panda on his a$$...

10. If you are a Tasmanian, which helmet do you put on first.
    The left one, i hope.

11. No advise is better than bad advise, that's where his duty of care resides.
    He should at least know enough to know he doesn't know anything. If it was ill fitting gloves, boots or undies he was giving his expert opinion on, that's one thing, but when it comes to helmets, much better if he got a clue.

12. Well I know which shop she didn't go to ;-)

13. J.O. you can't catch them all.

14. Helmetiquette

15. One of the helmets i tried on was a little small, but the salesman said it has to be tight, witch was fair enough but it took me 20min to pry the bugger off. In the end i had to go with helmet with the most hardcore looking robotic skulls and flames :twisted:

16. One of the helmets i tried on was a little small, but the salesman said it has to be tight, witch was fair enough but it took me 20min to pry the bugger off. In the end i had to go with helmet with the most hardcore looking robotic skulls and flames :twisted:

17. I tried on only 1 helmet when I bought mine. It fitted perfectly. I didnt even get help.

The thing i like best about my lid is the naked blonde chick on the sides.

18. Colour is VERY important for girls' helmets.

It's no good to you if you're not going to wear it coz it looks terrible...

19. Well I dont need to try that one on.I'm convinced it's the one for me :twisted: