Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmet - Emergency quick release system - worth it?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Trev, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Hi,

I'm a new rider and I am looking at getting some good gear.

The problem I'm having is there are a lot of really good helmets out there for safety and comfort but I've noticed a safety feature only 2 (that I've found) have. The Arai Corsair V and the Shoei-X12 both have an emergency system that allows paramedics to remove the helmet very easily without moving your head as much as they would without the release system. This obviously reduces the chance of inflicting any further spinal injury.

This and the multiple impact layers are the 2 main things I'm looking for in a helmet with comfort and airflow a 3rd priority and style and looks my last. Luckily most of the helmets with the advanced safety features also have the added comfort and style. My question is, should I spend $900 on the Corsair-V or X12 or would I be better off with a similar helmet for half the price minus the EQRS?

Obviously these 2 helmets are superior to any $500 helmet, I'm just interested to hear peoples thoughts on them. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. This is like asking "what are the best tyres?" - there's a million different answers but ultimately it's up to you.

My personal take is as long as I have a decently made helmet, I've done enough to mitigate a reasonable amount of risk. An "emergency system" wouldn't really affect my purchase choice.
  3. A work colleague of mine has the Shoei version and to me the addition of this safety feature to Shoei's already good quality makes a powerful argument...
  4. Shoei xr1100 comfy, light weight and great for wearing glasses. Dear though.
  5. dude, check Takamii!! He makes helmets, supplies great kevlar gear as well as leather gloves, search for him here. And if he reckons theres better gear then his he will be the first to tell you
  6. I wouldnt go for the X12, its more of a racing helmet i believe, this means its quite noisy.

Go for the XR1100, its just as protective, but more designed for the road so its very quiet. its cheaper as well.

im willing to bet 99% of paramedics will not pull on the tabs to remove your helmet, dont waste your money buying it.
  7. The paramedic's will just cut the straps with the same scissors used to cut you out of your leathers.
    If you need the paramedic's you will probably need a new helmet anyway.

But the cool factor is tempting.
  8. To chuck in a dissenting view, after working in insurance and holding and inspecting literally thousands of damaged helmets I'm never spending $700 on a helmet again. I never saw one that failed from the cheapest Rjays to the most expensive BMW job. The main difference I saw was in the way the visors were attached. The more expensive brands seemed to work better.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Thanks guys, will stick to some mid range ones with high sharp rating.
  10. Because there is AS 1698 to thank for that
  11. Moby I say this in a nice way

What makes you say its lightweight when it weighs 1.7 kg
  12. and which is why I would say go for the helmet that's the most comfy really...
  13. Because compared to every helmet that is not made from carbon it is light. In fact even when i tried it on compared too a shark RSR2 Carbon (or whatever its called) it really was not that much of a difference. Even an XS Aldi helmet weighs significantly more then my XL size (read, bigger shell then standard) shoei.

Just FYI the shark weighs 1.290 kg according to the manufacturer. Which i believe is about the same as your helmets.
  14. I would stay around the $400.00 mark you will be looking at another in 3 to 4 years time anyway .. IMO
  15. I mean after riding for a few hours its not a burden. You dont notice any weight.
  16. I think that really depends on your definition of 'failed'.. It may be true that none of the helmets had cracked in half or visually looked that bad, but the UK SHARP test shows that some helmets will transfer less force to the head than others.

It also supports your argument to an extent that the most expensive helmets aren't necessarily the best performers, but a lot of the popular ones have high ratings, such as the XR-1100 with 5 stars.
  17. Two things to think about:

1) Who says the paramedics will know the EQRS is even there, let alone how to use it?

2) If you are at risk of spinal damage you've probably hit your head at some point during the crash, which means you will need a new helmet. So why not just let them cut the straps and do what they're trained to do?

I'm sure it will be more common in helmets soon enough and paramedics will become more aware to it's existence, but for now... I don't think it's worth the extra price.
  18. Without doubt. For all I know, some of the people may have acquired brain injuries as a result of a severe knock and I have no idea how they faired. And individual crashes vary wildly. I'm not doubting that the good helmets might be better in some ways, but I don't think there is that huge a difference in helmet quality overall. People's heads stayed inside all the lids I saw.

That being said, if you can afford the helmet and it fits nicely, more power to you go ahead, knock yourself out. Bad expression.
  19. I did the Advanced Accident Scene Management course a few months back. One element was how to remove a helmet if you need to give resuscitation - believe me, paramedics will not look for a quick release - they'll just use their trauma shears to cut through the strap.
  20. #20 Trev, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    A lot of you guys don't seem to know what the EQRS is. It's got nothing to do with the strap. The strap is cut regardless, there is no difference between the chin strap on these helmets and the other ones. The EQRS are 2 tabs hidden under the helmet that when pulled, will allow the cheek pads of the helmet to slide out of the base of the helmet without having to remove the helmet. This allows for the helmet to easily slide off your head with no yanking or pulling.

Here's a video demonstration (bout 40 seconds in starts the demo):

I only want advice from people who know what they are talking about.