Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmet differences

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by scrambler, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Hi all,
    First I'd like to say that these forums have been a great source of info and advice for me, thanks you lot.

I'm just getting started with my first bike and all, go to Vicroads tomorrow to sort out the rego and plates for it.
    I own a jacket and boots- the helmet and gloves are on loan and I want to by my own ASAP due to safety concerns about using and old helmet.
    Looking around I've noticed a huge difference in prices and was wondering if anyone could offer a newbie some advice on what your paying for/ what to look out for/ what to avoid in a helmet/ minimum spend etc.

2. Think of how much your head is worth when it comes to spending money on a helmet....

I spent $450 on a Shoei brain capsule for myself... Unofrtunately i have a "Shoei Only" head tho and not one helmet except Shoei's fit me comfortabally.
  3. Some info here:

With helmets, fit is the most important factor (the salespeople will be able to help here).
    The major differences between the cheap makes and the more expensive ones are better lining, graphics tend to be painted on rather than stickers, overall better finish and you'll find that the vents will (generally) work better. They're all noisy (you'll need earplugs if you want to keep your hearing) and they all offer similar levels of protection.
  4. The three most important things in a new helmet.
    Fit and

The helmet should be a nice snug fit, exerting light pressure evenly over the whole head. If it feels tight er across the forehead, or squashes your jaw, try another brand. There is a diference between the brands and models in the way they fit.

Try on the helmet while wearing your riding jacket. Can you turn your head? can you look over your shoulder? Can you look up without causing pain?. Remember, on a sporty bike, your torso is likely to be tilted forward, and you'll need to be able to lift your head to see forward.

Personally, I go for the cheapest helmet that fits me well.

All new helmets comply with the standards and will give protection in a crash. No helmet will guarantee your safety.

All the cheap ones are quite adequate.

More expensive helmets you are paying for:
    stickers/ colour schemes,
    High-tech materials that may or may not be better.
    Light weight (a definite plus)
    durability (another plus)

Things like removable and washable liners are good.

Good ventilation can make a huge difference on a really hot day.

Some helmets are supposed to be quieter, but the wind noise thing is the result of a complex interaction betwee the bike, the rider and the helmet design. An expensive helmet might be quiet for me, but noisy for you. A cheap helmet might be the reverse.

Conventional advice is that a full-face is safer. I wouldn't push the point, but I choose to wear an open face helmet around town.
  5. You might consider a flip-up helmet. It will cost more but the added convenience of not having to remove your helmet to take photos or talk to your mates at pit stops is very useful.
  6. I am currently considering switching to one of these. Do you use one? if yes, which one, and how do you like it?
  7. inci, I've tried on the Nitro flip-face and am saving up for it, it fits well and only costs $299
  8. Thanks mate, I'v been Googling like mad but can't find a pic.
  9. Nice looking helmet, reasonable price, and removable liner to boot. Thanks, I'll go try one on.
  10. Thanks for all the hot tips. Even basic stuff that you all probably think is such common sense you don't think about it, like the 'even pressure all over' is great. Those Nitro look good and about what I was hoping to spend. I'll definitely check them out. :shock:
  11. Saw and ad in a bike mag recently for RXT brand flip-face helmets which quoted a RRP of just 200 bucks, they're an ABS shell but do have a removable liner.
  12. fit and weight = comfort = lets you concentrate on riding = excellent!!!

keep in mind that the helmets which flip up may also do that in an accident. anything can happen when there is speed and force. i prefer full face solid for peace of mind
  13. Same goes for me with HJC. Only helmet that fits me comfortably & I reckon they are a really good helmet for the price ($300ish)
  14. Fit is king and your head will generally prefer the shape used by one manufacturer or the other. How far you go up their models in regards to price depends on you, but NEVER get a helmet that doesn't fit snugly.

What you can get for the extra $:
    • More shell sizes in the range. A helmet designed to fit a small head has a smaller physical size as one designed for a Medium head with the resulting drop in wind resistance due to the smaller shell. Cheaper helmet models might only have 2 or 3 shell sizes where more expensive ones with have a different shell size for all sizes.
    • Drag reducing fins and other aerodynamic improvements so the helmet products less fatigue over time.
    • Softer Lining
    • Removable and washable lining
    • Generally more comfortable
    • Ability to mix and match pad sizes to get the best fit
    • chin wind protection (helps keep that draft from getting up the helmet, very handy on cold days)
    • Range of attachments to reduce fog inside the helmet
    • Visors with stiffer hinges so they don't flip open during head checks
    • Thicker visors (Sharks Helmets) that can deflect stones with higher velocity
    • Visors that have more notches so that the amount they stay open can be varied (helpful for defogging if left open a crack without letting in wind)
    • Anti-fog and anti-scratch treatments on the visors
    • More Flexible Shells rather than stiff ones which aren't as good at dissipating impact energy (more a product of the safety certification, a number of articles about this have been floating around the last few months)
    • Better ventilation
    • pull off visor covers like those used by racers.
    • better strap locking mechanisms (d-rings vs the woeful clips)
    • lighter (due to better materials)
    • graded foam density to absorb energy with less g-forces to the head
    • Inbuilt communications systems on some of the more unique helmets
    • brand name (e.g. MV Augusta Helmets)
    • Rear view mirrors built into the helmet
    • Heads Up Display
    • Colour scheme section more varied
    • Range of tinted, iridium, smoked etc visors
    • Removable ear pads to allow room for headphones
    • And probably more features that I've missed
  15. An I catagorically deny I'm currently helmet shopping!!!! :cry: :cry:

*Such a lovely Shark helmet...so little money.*
  16. I personally chose a shoei for two important reasons

1 I get a sore neck easy and it is light
    2 i'm really clastrophobic and the extra vision on the shoei really helps,
    not to mention it makes riding a tad easier for a newbie

It is really up to your priorities, let them govern your choice not price. To the extent you can let them ofcourse.
  17. Thanx matt, for giving me a headache! lol
    No seriously, a few things there I hadn't even considered (thus the headache).
  18. Thanx matt, for giving me a headache! lol
    No seriously, a few things there I hadn't even considered (thus the headache).