Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helmet Bedding In?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Jez79, May 16, 2007.

1. Hiya,

Just curious how long a helmet should take to bed in? I spent weeks finding a helmet that fit my head right and was nice and snug, (really snug actually), then when I found the one I wanted, I had to wait for a different colour to come in.. When I got it last night it was SUPER tight and hard to get on. (next size up was pretty loose). I'm hoping the size I got will fit because the ones in the shop were bedded in from everyone trying them on and mine is yet to do that???

When I picked it up, I told the guys, I could barely fit my head in, and it felt really tight and they assured me it would bed in properly, so I'm just concerned how long it will take (previous one was quite loose) OR if they were just rushing me out of the shop. If the latter is the case, then I'm going to have to do something..

Any ideas?
  2. Jez, it won't take long at all.

When I got mine I could hardly get it on, now it's a great fit :grin:

Wear it around the house for a bit if you have to, but we want to see pictures :grin:
  3. Relieved to hear.. (Nearly wore it to bed, just to get it a bit more comfy.. haha!)
  4. Wear it half a dozen times and you will be right. Better too tight now than too loose later! Loose fitting helmets can be dangerous.

It'll be all right! :)
  5. Go one size down from the size that hurts your ears... lol. Because that will give you a headache and is overly tight.
    Pads should always touch your cheeks. Might helmet was uber tight when I bought it (snug but not uncomfortable). Now after 6 months it has a lot more movement but not enough to give me concer. My cheeks still touch the sides nicely and I still get imprints on my face if worn too long. hahaha.
  6. Once its on, its pretty snug, but I struggle to get my fingers up the sides to 'pop' my ears into place.. pretty funny sight..
  7. BTW 'taiheung' did you mean one size up or one size down, because currently it hurts my ears.. this would be good sign?
  8. Did you try to move your helmet up and down to get them in? Works for me.
  9. Don't worry mate - when i got my new lid it almost pulled my ears off everytime i took it off, but while on, it was the best shape lid that I tried..... A couple of weeks later, it's perfect and not too tight to get off anymore :cool:
  10. Cheers all, really appreciate the encouraging replies. Once on its ok, I just thought it was seriously gonna pull my ears off..
  11. What do you need ears for? :p They only stick out and get bitten off :LOL:

my helmet was tight enough to give me headaches for the first week, fits like an old glove now :grin:
  12. Note that the ones in t e shops have been tried on a bazillion times so they are stretched a bit anyway, not as much as they will, but you get the point.

When you get your helmet out of the box "brand new" it will feel tighter than the shop one, but as your brain shrinks as you ride it starts to fit better! :p :p

My head hurts
  13. I have a helmet that is a bit tight and I have left a soccer ball inflated inside it for a while. Should be right after that.
  14. Jeff will now be known as soccer ball head :LOL: :LOL:
  15. Does that make the helmet a scrotum cos it holds the ball? (no disrespect meant)
  16. Sorry about that last one, I think the tight helmet has been cutting off circulation..