Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

hello

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by monkey nuts, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Hello all

I'm new to bikes and want to know where to go for a bike and where do people meet in melbourne

2.  Top
  3. Well that is a way to open a can of worms, lots of bike stores along Elizabeth street. As to where people meet then the standard coffee night on Friday is a good place for Netriders. Starting at around 5pm onwards in front of the Bear Brass at Southbank.

Welcome to Netrider, the lunacy starts now.

4. me too..... new to bikes that is!

i've posted the same message, re:where to shop...

online: bikesales.com.au
    autotrader.com.au
    bikepoint.ninemsn.com.au
    tradingpost.com.au

other than that...

elizabeth st in the city has most of the bike dealers.

out east of melb seems to be where most of the netriders seem to recommend though.

5. sumoto seemed ok apart from the bloody loud music they had going on in there. What wrong with them?

6. Dodgy. Sumoto always sounds good to new riders. I'm sure there's some people with a couple of sumoto stories here.

I don't like the way they say something like 2004 ZZR-250, when it actually means a 1993 ZZR-250 which has been complianced to 2004. New riders never know what compliance really means =\, and Sumoto will never tell you. It's a marketing ploy to get you to think you're buying the newest. Sad thing is, it works.

7. went to peter stevens the place looked good. are these guys ok?

8. yeah...until they get your money, after that its who are you....

ohh and welcome to the forum...

9. no.....no they aren't "ok" at all!!

https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3758

The absolutely best advice is to grab the yellow pages and this list and shop around....you have a pretty steep learning curve ahead of you so don't do what I did and rush into it and if you are going to buy a new bike rather than a used. Then check out the manufacturers websites to find out where thier authorised dealers are.

Also make sure you look at the partners page to make sure you get reasonable deals on gear too.

But yer for a learner bike you are going to get rid of within 15 months just get a second hand one and save some cash for when you are off restrictions and also invest more of your money into full protective gear.

10. My advice for buying a 250: Use dealers for test rides, but buy privately.

Dealers tend to jump on the fact that learners don't know what to expect from bikes.

However, if you're lucky when going private, you'll find some guy who's upgraded to a real bike and wants to get rid of a perfectly working 250.

Finally, don't get suckered in by the test ride. The compulsion to hand over the cash there and then after your first blast on a good bike is very high...

11. Mick Hone in Box Hill has a very good reputation. Ask for salesman called Ziggy, he'll look after you, gave me a great deal on my bike and I hear nothing but praises for him. He realises that the sales don't end after you walk out of the door with a newly purchased bike, you'll be back for upgrades, new gear, new accessories etc etc.

Otherwise Red Wing Honda is also good as well. Haven't heard much about other stores except to stay away from Sumoto unless you're "trying" out the different sorts and types of bikes. Don't purchase from them though.

12. Just a facsimile from the another post.
    Oh but don't buy bikes from them. Or get it serviced from them either. They're not all to good in that area.

13. I like to use Birghton Kawasaki that have been excelent all the staff are nice and the service is good, they get my vote.

14. Hi & welcome, I bought my Hornet from Sumoto... they are OK, you do pay a bit more for your bike, but you get a 6 months warranty... I'm testing that out this weekend. Speedo & trip meter is gone so I don't know how fast / slow I'm going :)...

Oh.. and you get a 6mth service with the price as well...

Wherever you decide to get your bike, bring someone who knows a bit about bikes... if anything, they can be someone you talk to, to get some relief from the sales person who's pushing you to hand over the cash.

D

15. Hi & welcome, I bought my Hornet from Sumoto... they are OK, you do pay a bit more for your bike, but you get a 6 months warranty... I'm testing that out this weekend. Speedo & trip meter is gone so I don't know how fast / slow I'm going :)...

Oh.. and you get a 6mth service with the price as well...

Wherever you decide to get your bike, bring someone who knows a bit about bikes... if anything, they can be someone you talk to, to get some relief from the sales person who's pushing you to hand over the cash.

D

16. see post in rides and events section , at the top
    as scumbag said , Friday Night coffee at southbank .
    there is lots of bikes there , get to sit on them , ask questions , chat , meet everyone and also get advise on bikes , and sit and look at the differant one s and how they feel.

just when you turn up , people start getting there around 5:30 ish -10pm ish
    just copme up , say hello and introduce yourself to one of us and we will introduce you to all the others .

make it easier , i will be there at 6pm , so look for me or ask for me and someone will point me out .
    if you get lost ring my mobile 0425873437
    if you contact me today , all depending where you are from we may be able to arrange a lift in for you .

17. I got up early this morning and got a copy of the trading post. I think I want a Suzuki across. There is a couple in there today. Is there any one out there who would be willing to inspect a bike for me. I dont want to part with the cash and end up with a dud just coz I dont know whats what. May be I should go with a dealer after all?

18. You are faced with the same problems regardless of private or dealer sale - there is no statutory warranty on secondhand bikes AFAIK.

You really are best to take someone with you that knows what to look for - if you seriously want some help, find a bike you are interested in and then post your location and the time you want to go and look at it - I'm sure someone on here will be happy to help :D

19. If you pay top $ from a dealer surly there should be some kind of warranty. What would happen if you ride the bike away and the next day it blew up. There would have to be some way of getting your money back or a replacment????

20. VICTORIAM MOTORCYCLE INSPECTIONS
    PETE HANIGAN

TELL HIM I SENT YOU , HE DOES IT FOR $90 , AND FULL WRITTEN AND MECHANICAL REPORT.

GIVE HIM A RING AND SPEAK WITH HIM
    (ooops sorry about the capitals)