Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Chelseadog, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm looking for your advice. I recently bought a 1996 Tenere 660 that I rode back from Adelaide solo with no mechanical issues or punctures.

I figure my luck might not be so good next time.

I'm not a new rider, but I am new to solo riding these distances on roads with great distances between towns, and no bike repair shed on the side of the road, as can be found in Asia or the Middle East where all your problems can be solved by someone who is mechanically astute.

As a female, it's also in my best interest to be able to fix a problem myself then rely on someone to give me a ride into town and me putting my safety at risk by doing that.

At the moment I have no mechanical know how at all.

What I'd really like to know is:

a) what do I need to know about the mechanics of my bike that will mean I should be able to fix most minor/medium problems on the road

b) What do I do if my tyre gets a puncture? I know the tyres on this model have an inner tube.

I'd really appreciate your advice and help.

I can't really afford to spend hundreds of dollars on bike maintenance courses that don't really go much of the way of teaching you enough.

I'm heading away in the first week of December and would like to get some critical skills under my belt by then.

All and every piece of advice is helpful, no matter how big or small, (but polite).

Thanks very much.
  2. It's going to be pretty tough to learn about bike mechanics on the computer. I say go and pay a bike mechanic a few hours pay to teach u about your bike and show u what might go wrong on your bike and how to deal with it.
  3. Hi Chelseadog, and welcome.

It would help to know where abouts you are.

Dunno if they still do learner maintenance sessions, but girlsrideout used to do such things, but I think they are predominantly Sydney based.
  4. Try youtube. There is a lot of stuff there that could be helpful from a general perspective. Tyre repairs etc.
  5. Ditto on Roadside Service. Australian Riders Division has a basic service but not sure if they are accepting new members. There are others.

Some mechanical knowledge will definitely be of benefit to you but I'd save that for routine maintenance such as chain oiling, oil changes, general servicing etc. If you break down on the road then you won't have a complete tool set with you and would be limited in what you can do anyway (depending on the problem). You are possibly likely to need a tow anyway.