Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Midlifer, Feb 15, 2013.

1. I've been on here researching and checking out a few things for a while so I thought I had better get around to saying Hi. Just got my Q-Ride Certificate of competency today. Still freaks me out a bit that after two days of learning and assessment I can go from never having ridden anything other than a pushy to having a licence (RE) and being let loose on the road. While the skills part of the lessons - slow riding, emergency braking and evasion from 40kph, hill starts and slalom where good, it was a bit of a leap hitting the streets and using more than 1st and 2nd gear in the road competency. Especially riding up to 80kph in the rain for the first time. I guess no better way to learn than the deep end. Been driving for 25 years (and cursing riders) so I guess that means I'm the right age to do compulsive things like this even if it doesn't impress my wife. Now I just have to get something to ride. Cruisers seem to appeal. Must be the chrome. Thanks for all the helpful tips and insights. (y)

2. Welcome aboard young chap :). Any kinds of cruisers in mind??
  3. sounds like another 650 vstar on the cards?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hi Midlifer. First thing I did coming home from the test ride was writing down everything I could remember about what my instructor said. Best to get a bike soon while your memory of how to ride is still fresh too.

That's the excuse I should've used but I wasn't financially ready for another 20 months. The real fun part is about to begin: test rides!
  5. Yeah the 650 Classic looks great. Love the curves and chrome. The Honda VT400 is another contender but doesn't quite have the looks. I've only ridden a CB125e so I'm wondering if going with a much heavier bike first up is wise or won't even be a factor.
  6. Hey, welcome :)

While you're researching bikes, could,you buy yourself a bigger font for posting on the forum? :ROFLMAO:
  7. Welcome.
    Completing Q-ride in the rain is an extra challenge, but you are also lucky in a way that you got to ride in the rain with an instructor around.

Like SlowPoke said, get a bike as soon as reasonable, and ride frequently, even if you can't ride for long.

Where are you looking?
  8. #8 Wil02, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
    I would suggest just get a toy bike with the plan of upgrading later til u get & get off your p's coz anything you now is going to be gimped and you'll want to upgrade later anyway.

For example even if you want something like a boulevard C50 which are only about 10k and smallish capacity (800), its still bigger than lams will allow.

Plus if you're a hesitant learner you might be better to build your skills on a more onventional bike style.

Oh and test ride everything.
  9. 650 v star will seem big for about 2 weeks
    any lams buje will also seem fast for about 2 weeks

but by the time a full R , you WILL want more.
    Its just the way it is so roll with it.

buy a seconhand vstar
  10. You can't go wrong with an XVS 650 for a lams cruiser. I don't think I've heard anyone say a bad thing about them.
    Best all rounder IMO is CB400

Just my 2 cents
    Hi and welcome btw :)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Yes, no need to buy brand new.
    Plenty of good second hand lams bikes
  12. Welcome and happy and safe riding