Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello To All!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Exodus, Nov 13, 2012.

1. G'Day,

Well I was put on to this site by a friend of a friend. Oddly enough the friend of a friend does not have any interest in motorbikes, so how is that!

A little about me, I've been driving for ten years and always wanted to ride a bike. Finally, last week I got my learners and picked up my first bike on the weekend! Since lunchtime Saturday I've put 200km's on the clock.

Bike wise I got myself a nice shiny new 2012 Kawasaki ER-6NL with ABS. Given I have a few rather large hills in my area, and I'me a rather tall and heavy person, the 650cc gets me around nicely, that and I really do love the look of the naked.

Sunday I did my first decent ride, about 150km's in one hit. Lots of roundabouts, freeways and stop start work. I took a lot away from it which was good. I picked up very quickly that my cornering needs a lot of work (and I've already found the 101, 102, 103 and 104 threads on this forum!), I also noted the perils of being on the road, I had a nice shiny new bike with a big (and very obvious), shiny L-Plate and shiny leathers - basically it all yelled out that it was new and (most likely), I had no experience. Yet I was still tail-gated by several cars and had one car almost rear end me at a stop sign while I waited for traffic to pass while completing a turn. However, it is all a learning experience, and these are the things I imagine I'll have to deal with on a daily basis from here on in.

One of the things I find most interesting is, through a previous life, I have spent over three weeks full time doing advanced driver training, including emergency procedure driving. All of which require huge amounts of concentration and, at times is extremely exhausting. The amount of concentration, alertness and forward planning in riding is incredible. After my ride on Sunday I was positively exhausted, more so than when I have driven a car in high pressure situations. I know over time I will get used to a large portion of this, but wow, I never realised how much it takes it out of you!

Lastly, I am hoping in the next couple of weeks to join in on the Saturday morning learner group in Elwood, advertised on the forums here. It appears as though it would be really beneficial and a good way to not only practice but get some good advice from those that have some extensive experience.

It's all a bit surreal at the moment as I've always wanted to have a bike but never gotten around to getting my .... together and doing something about it.

Finally, here are some pictures of Big Kev the Kawasaki....

up2. up3.
  2. So... I see you have an "Arai head" :p

I don't care much for naked bikes but I like the fact that it's new. I'm no small guy, so 650 was my choice too.

Welcome to the loony bin! :)
  3. good form...great introduction - welcome to netrider bud - maybe you should get down to the learner sessions down in melbourne to meet fellow nr riders - you may well be able to organise a riding buddy through doing so.

best of luck with that and again...welcome.
  4. Haha yes, I chose an Arai, the Shoei just didn't fit my boof head properly and I didn't believe in skimping on some coin when it came to protecting the brains trust.

One of the key reasons I chose the 650 (besides the hills), was that I'm 6'6" and 120 odd kegs. Anything lugging me around has to have some power behind it!

Thanks for the welcome! I am hoping to get to a practice session in a fortnights time and go from there!
  5. Welcome to The riding obsession and welcome to Netrider... Enjoy the ride...
  6. Welcome mate :) I love the bike, the black and green look sweet on it
  7. Welcome indeed; if you think you're having fun now on a limited 650, just wait till you graduate to a bigger bike!!!
    Anyway, learn fast, be careful, and take every opportunity that you can to ride 20kms for a litre of milk :LOL: