Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello there from Canberra

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Nelle, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Just joined and keen to share my obsession. I've recently returned to riding 4 years ago after a VERY long break, like about 28 years. One marriage, 3 adult sons, one divorce, one grandson, etc, etc, and a new zest for life involving riding as must as I can. My partner bought a gorgeous little red DT175 that was like new and after a few rides I was hooked. I did a M.A.S.T.E.R.S. Stay Upright course and bought a lovely Suzuki Intruder 250 to get me started. I'd never ridden road bikes before so it was a little scary to begin with. Having both feet firmly on the ground was very important in gaining my confidence. I couldn't venture too far out on the highways with it so I was getting bored and spent a long time looking for something that fitted right. I found my new love in a Triumph Bonneville after taking one for a demo ride. I ordered a new purple and white one in 2013 and am still in love with it. I'm a fair weather fairy but I like to ride to work nearly every day and get out most weekends. I love to participate in all the fundraising rides, having just done the Pink Ribbon ride yesterday in Canberra. Next week I'm doing my first Snowy Ride. I hope to learn a lot from this site and will share my obsession too. Safe riding everyone!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hi Nelle, welcome to NR! You should learn a fair chunk from the forum, as long as you poke through enough threads. ;)
  3. Welcome to NR...

Bikes are fascinating things.. Aren't they?
  4. I'm still working out how this site all works as I've never joined anything like this before. It's sometimes just the little things that you pick up from different people that can make a difference. The motorcycling community is a wonderful place, I never been a religious person but I liken it to church. You can just turn up on your own and be part of something great!
  5. That's exactly what I found- if I need fuel riding solo and I pull up to a servo with bikes in there already, 9/10 I'll get a friendly chat or some pointers... even if it's just the boys in blue are out in force today ;)

It takes awhile to work the forum out, but just patience and a lot of clicking, you'll get there. Hehe.
  6. Welcome Nelle, Canberra is a wonderful place to ride, albeit a bit chilly in winter.
  7. Welcome to Nutrider!

Plenty of opinions and advice on here - just learn which ones to ignore and which ones to listen to!
  8. Welcome to the forum Nelle. Watch out for the roundabouts with black ice, and the same coming down the back of Black Mountain. I used to work in Bruce and live in Ngunnawal, so I know about the roundabouts.
  9. welcome aboard :] enjoy the ride :]
  10. Thanks everyone! Canberra in winter can be touch and go but you get to read the weather and know when not to venture out. I have ridden through the last 4 winters but have to admit that when I'm on my way to work around 9am most of the ice has gone. There's a lot to be said about having the right gear too, I never get too cold. My coldest morning was -6c this year but it was a beautiful clear day.
  11. I have my favourite roundabouts, always hoping no one is around to enjoy a few little twisties along the way:) I reckon Ngunnawal would win the prize for most roundabouts, my sister lived there for years.
  12. If you can afford it Nelle, get some heated gloves or grips. Makes going to work on the bike so much nicer.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yep, they are good. I had them on my cruiser but haven't put them on the Triumph yet. I've been keeping her pure, can't bring myself to put extra stuff on her yet. Will probably upgrade the crappy suspension before I do anything else.
  14. Welcome Nelle :)

I'm just starting out myself with an intruder 250 , they look great but after I have got my learners and been riding for a while, I'm sure I will also want to upgrade as you did in the future :)