Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello Riders

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by rpoppes, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Hi All,

After many many years I finally made my mind up.
    Got my license in November 2006 and love every day I ride.

How did it all happen? Well in Holland, where I'm from, the weather is a big factor to actually get excited about riding a bike. It's also a lot harder to ride as there is no notion of L's and P's. You need to join a driving-school and take lessons. Very expensive indeed. About $60 per hour!
    So weather, traffic (a lot more than here), money, etc always put a damper on it.

I moved to Melbourne 8 years ago, got married and last year the old-man-in-law and my wife told me that they were going to buy me a Vespa-scooter for my 40th. I've got nothing against scooters but it's just not me.
    I told them both that I would buy myself a bike instead. Well did that hit something. There's no way I was getting a bike. A scooter is a lot safer and you don't need a license etc. THAT WAS THEIR REASONING.
    Did I have a surprise for them. When finally convinced that you do need a license for a scooter there was no way they could stop me from getting my license and a BIKE. Happy 40th birthday!!!
    My wife doesn't hate it, but just scared that something will happen. Fair enough. I've got a friend/neighbour who's also a biker and he always puts positive words around my riding skills etc to make her more comfortable. Escpecially these days as we are expecting our first baby in January 2008.

Anyway, that's me. Riding a Hyosung 250 Comet (the naked one) and guess what? I've pre-ordered the new Street Triple with a couple of extra's!! The only thing: I've got to wait until 31st of Jan (of the P's).

Cheers,

Rudi.

2. G'day mate and well done for sticking up for yourself.

Welcome to NR too.

3. Welcome to NR and welcome to the wonderful world of bikes.

Take it easy. Rubber-side-down. :grin:

4. Welcome to NR rpoppes!

Glad you convinced them in accepting the bike and good luck with the new bub next year :)

5. So you're expecting TWO new bubs in January then??!! :p

Congrats and welcome!

:cool:

6. Sounds brilliant mate, it"s never to late to take it up.

My wife was dead against me getting a bike for years, not that I pushed hard for it, so when I finally went for it earlier this year she was not only insanely jealous, she went for hers as well, although she opted for a scooter.

oh and before I forget, Feestelijk Inhalen. (I hope that's right)

7. Thanks all for the nice comments!!!!