Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello, new to riding in Australia

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by DaveMcC, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Hi Guys,
    Not native to this country, originally from Ireland and have a good few years riding experiance back there. Lost the books near 10 years ago at home and finally got round to getting my L's the other month. I've bought a little XVS 650 Classic and if anyone out there can point me in the direction for getting good quality accessories I'd really appreciate it. Also look forward to seeing you on the road, thanks, Dave

2. Welcome to NR the golden gems on here will want to know where you live so that they can point you towards accessories...happy biking!:troll:
  3. welcome aboard
  4. Hi Dave, Welcome aboard. I also ride a V-Star 650 and for what I need in a bike it suits me fine. I get most of my accessories from the internet as I don't get out much and no good dealers in my region. I want functionality more than best. I picked up a rack and sissy bar from Ebay, Hong Kong I think. Cheap but does the job and has for a few years now. Bags come from a QLD company, Screen is a good one, Switchblade from a Sydney importer and forward mounts for the floor boards direct from US. I'm sure you will enjoy the ride here as there is much more room than your old country.
  5. Where are you, Dave? If you're anywhere near me, we have the best roads in NSW. :)
  6. Dave, make sure you pay attention to the heat in this country. It's not something you can treat lightly and get away with it. Keep hydrated, wear ventilated summer weight gear if you can, and take breaks before you think you need to.

Also, welcome!
  7. Ditto- You can end up as dry as a dead dingo's donger in less than 1 hour on some stretches if you are dehydrated- stay off the turps the night before a long summer ride as well...:troll:
  8. Hi Dave, and welcome.

I just love the classic Irish understatement....... it's just about the biggest bike you could get, on L plates!

As others have warned, the weather here is rather less forgiving than Irish ( or Scottish) weather.

I'm originally from Scotland, and the other "warning" I'd pass on to you is that Oz is a LOT bigger than Ireland or Scotland.

I remember the first time I rode out of Sydney, bound for Adelaide.....
    logically, I knew it was about 1,500 kms, but nothing had really prepared me for the big long lonely stretches of fairly close to nothing in between towns.
  9. Thanks everyone for the welcome, I'm down here in Melbourne. Any direction appreciated, I'd only ever ride dry miles at home on my superbike and will just be doing the same again on the Star, lots of chrome to keep shining. At POD, what Queenland company did you get your bags from? I'm after a really nice set of saddlebags, don't mind paying a bit of money for them either but nothing too ridiculous.
  10. Welcome to NR...

Good choice of bike...;)
  11. Welcome Dave, another paddy here. The warnings about the heat are dead on, it is deceptive and riding into heat exhaustion is dangerous. If you can get time to do it, the Great Ocean Road is really nice! Well worth a spin.
  12. Like I said I don't go for the best but what will do. The company sell on Ebay a lot but have a company site at "http://www.sharkleathers.com.au/saddle-bags/". They are not real leather but have carried quite a load at times. They are cheap enough that for the cost of good ones I can replace these a few times if needed. They have zips so can be easily removed for cleaning.
  13. This is a good point, I forgot about the distance thing.

DaveMcCDaveMcC this should give you an idea of the scale involved. The image shows the entire of Great Britain in dark green compared to Australia in lighter green to the same scale.

14. You know what, even with all of the maps and scale it is still difficult for me to get my head around the size sometimes. I have driven from the GOR to the sunshine coast, went over and back the Blue mountains and took many detours along the way. And still I get mistaken when estimating distances in my head! The scale takes a lot of getting used to and in the beginning I really thought I had a handle on it. Proves the less you know sometimes means the more you think you know. :)
  15. A friend of mine used to work at the roadhouse just east of Lithgow on the GWH. One day a guy in a new Merc shows up, walks in and says he's come west for the day and wants to know how much further it is to "Ayers Rock". My friend pointed west and said "about three days drive that way". He went pale, turned around, and drove back to Sydney.
  16. Funnily enough, I had a few days Annual Leave I needed to take and I thought to myself I should ride to Uluru. Thought I would be able to do it in 2 days there and 2 back... Nope not a hope and this was after living here for 2 years! Even 3 days ride would mean pretty long days on the road, factoring in food, fuel and rest.

Don't get me wrong, it is something I want to do but my few days AL was not going to lend me the opportunity to do it :)
  17. Oh I agree, I'd love to do it as well, but growing up towards the middle of the sate and having relatives right in the middle of NSW (Condobolin) I appreciate the distances involved. One day I'll have the time, bike and money all at the same time and it'll happen.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gday Dave and welcome to the land down under. Best way to explore it is on a bike too. Have you found some nice parts of the state to discover and ride yet