Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello, good morning and welcome...

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Kestrel, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Yes, I know I shouldn't be the one saying 'Welcome', but it didn't feel right not to put it in :p

Anyway, I'm a newbie to this board - been riding for about 2.5 years now. I'm based in the supposedly sunny state of QLD (right now, somebody's throwing the clouds at us :( ) I'm not gonna say just how old I am, but I will say I'm a card-carrying Ulysses member. I'm currently on a VTR250, and I'm soon acquiring a GL500 from a Ulyssian mate of mine (a little nervous about that, really - if anyone knows about the quirks of a 28-yr-old bike, I'd like to chat?)

Anyway, good to find a local place to chat - thanks for having me!
  2. Welcome aboard.. :grin:
  3. :grin: and welcome abroad.
    Hope you enjoy your stay
  4. welcome :p
  5. hi and welcome to NR
  6. Welcome to NR.

Quirks of a 28 year old bike - rust, perished rubber components, rust, dodgy electrics, rust, small parts and nuts/bolts etc that have been missing for a long time, difficult to source tyre sizes, and did I mention rust? :LOL:.
  7. Welcome, Fellow Queenslander!!

The lack of sun is to cut down on the skin cancer rate and fill the dams :grin:

Check out the QLD rides - meet at the Stones Corner Hotel sometime...
  8. Kestrel, Welcome.

I recently traded a 20 year old Kawasaki for a 5 year old Honda. I wasn't actually expecting such a big change.

Have you taken the bike for a test ride? It may help you decide if it is right for you. If you take a newer bike for a test and compare it you may change your mind, so think about whether you want to change your mind (or can afford to).

My 20 year old bike was great for me for around 5 years, but rust in the tank became a problem and dirtied up the fuel (which the engine didn't like).

I had problems with the brakes too, they were shuddering when braking so I had the discs and pads replaced but it actually felt more dangerous.

If you have problems with power and braking it is hard to enjoy riding.

You can still love a young or old bike!