Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello from the US. Looking for some info on Sydney

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by US-VFR, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Hello guys! My name is Chris and i'm hoping you guys can help me with a little info about riding in sydney and surounding areas.

A little background: Ive been riding for about 10 years. I live in florida and ride an 04 VFR 800 on the road and an 07 r6 at the track. Both great in thier own way.

My little brother recently moved to sydney and will be living there for the next two years. He is also a rider and has spent a couple weeks renting a bike and riding around the area. Austrailia has always been on my list of places to see and no better time to go then when you have a free place to crash. I will be in sydney in March for two weeks but unfortunatly will ony be able to ride with my brother for 2 or 3 days of this trip (Bringing the wife and child who have big plans for the remaining time)

So here is what i need help with:
    Best place to rent a Sport touring or adventure style bike in Sydney?
    Any "have to see" places within a day or two ride?
    anyone have a 3 day route already that has a good mixture of fun roads and scenery?
    Best place to drink beer in sydney?
    and anything else you think may be helpful.

I haven't done a thorough search of the forum yet but will be lurking around looking for info. in the meantime thanks for any/all info and suggestions you guys have!

2. Rentals here are not like Eaglerider back home. There are not many places to rent bikes here unfortunately.
    3 days could see you in our small Alpine region for a quick tour. I'll send you some Google map files later this morning and you can see the routes.
    I'll be in FL next week, no riding though....
    Hope you made it through the hurricane ok mate.
  3. Thanks Tweet. Im in the panhandle and while we have been crushed a few times in the past we luckily had blue skys all week. Those google map files would be immensely helpful. thanks a ton!
    • Like Like x 1

4. Thanks CJ. Looks like Bike around OZ has decent weekend rates. That will probably be the way to go.
  5. Best place to drink beer in Sydney, now that is a hell of a request. I quite enjoy The Australian at The Rocks, but a craft beer pub crawl around Surry Hills is great too.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I'm from Canada and will be in Sydney next week renting from Garner's for 3 weeks. Haven't picked up the bike yet so can't recommend quite yet.
  7. In just on WEEK. you arrive Down Under. So the count down for you is on. Now, which way are you heading to and when will you be there. There is so much to do and see. I would love to hear about it.
  8. Hi Eric,
    Yeah, I'm really jazzed about going to Australia, my first time Down Under. I don't have the whole 3 weeks mapped out yet but thanks to Netrider (and the awesome people here), I have figured out where I want to go and have airbnb-ed my trip from Sydney thru the Victorian Alps / High Country to Tasmania, where I will spend 5-7 days. From there I don't have any plans but will probably head to Melbourne and then the Great Ocean Road / Grampians before heading back to Sydney. Can hardly wait.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Awesome, check out this thread for a bit of a heads up on what to expect - Tassie Tour 2016
  10. The Great Ocean Road is not in great shape right now due to recent heavy rains and landslides. Keep an eye in the conditions in case there are still closures and diversions.
    VicRoads - VicTraffic
    Alternatives might be Wilson's Promontory or the Great Alpine Road. Lots of others.
  11. gday Chris / US-VFRUS-VFR and welcome to NR!

make sure you post up closer to your arrival and if you have time to spare I'm sure a few of us would try to catch you for a ride. also, be sure to get little bro to join up here and he can get to learn the lay of the land a bit quicker.