Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello from the outer south east of Melbourne :)

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by xntrek, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Greets all,

After 17 something years on the road, and 14 years of gradual wearing down , err, I mean, convincing of the wife 8-[ ... am finally getting licensed for some standard two wheel fun (as opposed to two out of four wheel fun) :woot:.

Learners is booked for the 17th with Ridetek and I've already splurged on Dainese boots, Dainese gloves and a BMW Sys 5 helmet ... planning on ordering a Tiger Angel Elements suit next week and hopefully a CB400 not too long after that.

I'm out Berwick/Narre Warren/Cranbourne ways - so if any other newbies are looking for a weekend partner - hook me up :)

The eccentric one.
  2. eccentric, eh? I'm sure you'll 'fit in' perfectly here

Welcome to Netrider :LOL:.
  3. Welcome Aboard Oh eccentric one .. :p
    Congrats on getting your permission slip from the wife :LOL: I can relate to that, was 46 before I got mine. You aren't far from me ( hey neighbor ).

4. Welcome to the boards, no eccentric riders out in the S.E. we are all normal you ask us :LOL:
  5. Welcome aboard.
    As far as newbie rides, I catch up with the Mornington Honda guys last Sunday each month at 8.30am for a blat. Pretty easy going and anyone welcome.
    Should tag along. Well organised and interesting mix of youn and older riders.

6. Heya,

Welcome from a newbie from Frankston South!

7. PS. I am currently riding a Virago 250 but I am over the cruiser thing. I saw your post about the CB400 - I have 8 months left on a restricted license but I need to get off this thing. I'll have to look into the CB400!!

8. I have to admit, I was looking into a cruiser at first ... but some of my biker mates warned me that I would have just that reaction!

My Final "shortlist" of bikes came down to :

[list:b03feb8312]ZEPHYR 550 (ZR550)
      ZR250 Balius
    • CB400F

• FZR250

In the end though, I ended up looking at the CB400F as the "forerunner" as it is a tad bigger than the CBR, more comfortable (for me), and a bit more torque-ee ... which is good for a large bloke :)

I think if I cannot find a CB400 in my price range, I'd look at the ZR250or ZR550 as the next likely contender.
  9. Is it You I see some mornings travelling up Dandy-Frankston?

10. Hey, thanks for sharing the short list. I think I am leaning toward a CB400 as well - I am about 194cms and 105 kgs so I need all muscle I can legally have (& afford). That's the issue though, I dont want to fork out $10k for a bike I will only have for another 8 months or so which if what you seem to have to pay for a CB400 anywhere I have found one for sale so far. One of the other netriders was just selling a Suzuki bandit 250 which looks OK too and the price of bikes from the 90's doesnt seem too steep - 3.5 to 5k.

The ZR250 and 550 look good also, didn't know about them before so thanks for the tip :)

11. VCM

No it isnt me. I ride Morno to Rosebud most days.
    My username is my rego.

Cheers Cameron
  12. Welcome :)

Im in Pakenham myself so may hit you up for a ride one day :)

I also did my course with the guys at ridetek (2 weeks ago) and must say they were fantastic.

I left at the end of the day feeling confident to come straight heom and take my bike out for a ride :)

Good luck :)