Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello from Sydney

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by CBR800, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Hi All

Been doing some research to starting motorcycling, seems like I've been bitten by the two-wheel bug - can't stop thinking about riding now!

Happy to have stumbled into this forum as it's Aussie based, I'm from Sydney east area and would love to go for rides once I've gotten my licence :)

2. Ok then hello, you obviously have a Honda in mind or you are yanking our chain. Get a bike and a license and come back and tell us how it all went.
  3. But before you go and do all that, are you hot?

Oh, and welcome to Nutrider!
  4. Welcome along.
    Once you get the paperwork and bike sorted, head to Homebush for the Saturday practice sessions... great for learning and for meeting fellow riders
  5. Mcsenna - yep, definitely getting a Honda. Got pre-L and L test next week. A bit nervous about pre-L, never had any motorcycle experience you see :)

Danny - thank you! I reckon I look hotter with a helmet on! :p

Fin metal - will definitely check it out, sounds like a very supportive group :)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hehehe. Most of us look hotter with a helmet on, even if it's only because of the extra sweat dripping onto the bike! :D
  7. Hi All,

Finally got things sorted and had my first ride today: crossing the harbour bridge and back - that's some scary stuff with the winds :eek: Have to say feels better to ride on the road than the confined spaces of a carpark, which means gotta practise more of those slow maneuvers :p

Riding cbr500r now & i loooove it :p

Will check out the homebush sessions one of these weeks :)

8. @CBR800@CBR800, here's something I wrote in another thread. You'll find it useful for riding in cross-winds. Keep in mind that the bridge could be one of the exceptions I've mentioned (due to eddie currents of the air flow), but the technique I described should still help, because relaxed arms help a lot in blustery conditions, especially if you need to make slight corrections to your lines.

I hope it helps. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Welcome, to Netrider and your riding apprenticeship
  10. #10 Ness_, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
    Hey Danny, I had horrible crosswinds on Sunday and I remembered reading this advice somewhere so I followed what I could recall of it. I def gripped with my legs, kept my arms loose, and rode in the centre of the lane. I was surprised by how much the winds moved the bike in the lane, but I was still safely ensconced within my lane. Great tips there!

CBR800, welcome to the amazing world on two wheels - life will never be the same :)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Glad to hear how well it worked @Ness_@Ness_! Of course, some corrections in your lines may be necessary, but it's a lot easier when your arms are relaxed. Also, you still have to be vigilant with general roadcraft, but it's easier to keep up the vigilance if you're not fighting against the bike/wind. :)
  12. Yeah, sadly I was really uncomfortable at that exact moment so some roadcraft was dropped in favour of yelling at myself in my head "DON'T FREAK, ARMS STAY LOOSE, GRIP WITH THE KNEES, STEADY THROTTLE, DON'T FREAK" etc etc etc. I was very grateful to get off the damn bridge and return to my scheduled programming. I recognised that I was staring at the road 20m ahead of me and had some kind of almost tunnel vision happening, but for those couple of minutes I just had to turn something else off. I did manage to stay out of blind spots of the cars to my right, but checking my speed and my mirrors were the things I switched off - I needed $8 of my $10 to just hold my nerve in the conditions. Next time a windy day is forecast I'm going to make sure I get out and ride in it again, because I don't want it to surprise me again like it did on Sunday!

OP, apols for the hijack, but at least we stayed on topic :)
    • Like Like x 2
  13. #13 danny_tb, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
    Something that will help with keeping the arms relaxed is to practice it in good weather: it's good technique no matter what the weather, and if you're already in practice when bad weather hits, it won't take as much of your attention to do it.

Of course, these tips and techniques should be useful to the OP too, as he had some troubles with the wind yesterday. Plus @Ness_@Ness_'s example should help to confirm to @CBR800@CBR800 how useful the technique is. :)

Edit: It might be useful to try to use a more relaxed approach to the thoughts in the high wind situation too. If your thoughts are stressed, the stress itself takes up some of your concentration - perhaps as much as 50% (it could be less, it could be more). Perhaps a thought pattern like this might help:

Breathe deeply and relax arms
    Breathe deeply and scan ahead
    Breathe deeply and check mirrors
    Breathe deeply and check to the sides
    Breathe deeply and check speedo

Notice how I said breathe deeply on every line. Deep breathing helps with relaxation, lowering stress levels, and it also helps to make the mind more quiet, more in the moment - more able to take in vital information about the surroundings. With time you can drop the "breathe deeply and relax arms" because you will have trained yourself to relax. With time the "breathe deeply" can be taken out of each of the lines in the thought pattern, and inserted as an occasional "breathe and relax", and one day (because it eventually becomes second nature), it will be so ingrained that riding, breathing deeply, and relaxing your arms and shoulders become one and the same thing.

Also notice how I put "scan ahead" as every second line. The further ahead you see things, the more time you have to react to them. The more time you have, the more options you're likely to have for avoiding hazards, and the less dangerous they will be. :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Thanks @danny_tb@danny_tb, @Ness_@Ness_ & @hornet@hornet ! It's not really hijacking, good topics to discuss :)

Had second ride today and tried the tip to stay loose with the arms and slouching more, it helped a lot! I'm quite confident with road craft, it's just a bit scary when the wind is blowing me closer to the SUV on the next lane :eek:

And yes, indeed life is not the same! Was entering my local mall with riding gear and helmet still on when a random dude asked me "what bike do you ride?" And also asked "are you hot?" Damn for a moment there i thought this guy could be @danny_tb@danny_tb hahahaha
    Also felt special when other riders acknowledge each other's existence on the road :)

But anyway, so far getting used to the bike but still struggling when turning right or making full u turn at the roundabout. I think i'm fearing that if i lean too much the bike will collapse so i've been entering and turning veeery slow...
  15. My reputation preceeds me! Well, since you mention it... @CBR800@CBR800, are you hot? ;)

Oh no! He mentioned the thing that some riders do with their heads! Don't tell @smee@smee! :ROFLMAO:

For roundabouts, try giving the rear brake just a little bit of pressure (not a lot - just a bit), then use the throttle to adjust your speed. This helps to keep it away from the snatchy initial bit of the throttle, and it should help to give you a bit more confidence on the roundabout. The far outside line is where all the gravel and drink bottles end up, so come in a bit from that, but don't hug the inside gutter because it's the tightest line, and therefore harder to get right. (y)
  16. Hahaha not so hot now that winter is coming :p

Yep tried to take it from outside but still struggling. How fast do you go when you enter the roundabout for a right or u turn?
  17. How long is a piece of string? Also, I have more experience than you, so I can judge it better and hit it harder than you. A lot of it comes down to experience, knowing what information to process, what info to ignore, level of trust in the bike, traction, other road users, your own abilities, sight distance, etc. It's far too hard to answer that question. However, if you're already on the throttle a little bit, it's easy to roll on a little bit more to stop yourself from tipping in too far in a slow speed turn.

You'll probably find that confidence on the smallest roundabouts will come with increased low-speed riding skills. Confidence on large roundabouts will come with increased general riding skills. Confidence on roundabouts that are somewhere in between will need a combination of slow speed and general riding skills.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Coolies :) gonna get some cone and practice in the carpark. Thanks for your advise @danny_tb@danny_tb !
  19. No probs. However, I advise that it's a good idea to stay off the bike if you're going to get into the "cones"... :wacky: :roflmao:
  20. Make sure you go to Homebush as fin suggested. Not only for a bit of training but also to meet like minded people. There's plenty of us here from around Sydney who go on organised runs where L & P platers are welcome.
    ..................... and that Harbour Bridge can be a real biatch when it's blowing a gale!