Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello from Melbourne!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by yamahaa, May 6, 2013.

1. Hello Everyone!

New to bikes and new to Melbourne!

I am hoping to get my license by end of May and be on a bike by June.

Have been looking at ninja, hyosung or the yamaha 150cc. I am from Korea and see a lot of Hyosungs but they don't seem to have a good rep here haha.

Hoping to go to a few meets once I am more settled in.

Thank you
  2. Welcome Yamahaa, yes the early Hyosungs had reliability and build quality issues. Some people had no problem other had major problems. It takes a while to recover from that bad reputation though.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Welcome to NR. :)

I'm a big fan of Korean cuisine. :D
  4. Hi there! By license did you mean Learners, or Provisional License?

I just did my Learners yesterday at Armstrongs in Thomastown, amazing people, amazing day! Not to far out of the city too, and about a 10 minute walk from Keon Park train station.

As for Hyosungs, I haven't heard anything bad about the new ones, and the LAMS 650's look awesome. I'm in the market for a VTR myself though!
  5. Thanks for your welcomes~

I am driving at the moment but I have always been very keen to ride a bike since I was in Uni, and now that I'm away from my parents .... :tantrum:

I will probably go for Hart or Ridetek. Is the 1 day course enough or would it be recommended to do the 2 day courses?

I am looking at the usual VTR/Ninja/250GTR etc.... lol
  6. If you haven't ridden before then the 2 day course will give you an easier introduction and more practice time.
  7. As above. If you've no experience, go for the 2 day course.

All the best.
  8. Hey, welcome! I like hyosungs, but they are, what they are.... a cheap bike :)

head down to the learner practice at Elwood if you want to meet a bunch of people and discuss bikes :)
  9. Welcome :) I ride my ninja to Uni everyday and love it. Which Uni do you go to?
  10. Welcome to NR.

A 2 day course will teach you a lot more than a 1 day course, especially if you are new, have no clue and never used manual before. If you are mechanically minded and can drive stick, I'd say you would be okay with a 1 day course. I managed to pass my learners with a 1 day course without having ridden before, but it could have just been pure luck, or the fact that the test was stupidly easy.
  11. Hi guys,

Thanks for your info. Guess I'll do the 2 day course just to be on the safe side :)

@arlennnn I dont go to uni, I work lol.
  12. oh my bad, read wrong :whistle:
  13. welcome to NR yamahaa, as above, get yourself to Elwood sat prac sessions, you'd be surprised how much learn there, people have ridden in wobbly and ridden out smooth and more confident, great people to help you out.
  14. Thank you.

Will definitely go once I get my bike ;)

15. You can go down to Saturday practice before you get your bike, you would be welcomed. You can talk to other riders and sit on a few bikes, get some advice, it is probably good before making your decision on what bike you get.