Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello from Melbourne :D

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by mdwallin, May 9, 2011.

1. Hey!

I'm about to turn 18 and want to get my motorcycle learners ASAP, but I know NOTHING about motorcycles and have never ridden one on my own before in my life.

So.. I was wondering where abouts would I ask about motorbikes? Like, what forums? 'Cause it seems some of the mods are pretty antsy about posting in the wrong forum :p

Basically I wanna know:

WHAT difference does 6speed/4speed make when looking at the specs of a bike?
    What difference does twostroke/fourstroke make?
    When shopping for a first bike (second hand) what kind of kilometres would I be looking for?
    What do the different 'drive types' mean?
    About how long might it take me to learn to drive up to learners permit standard?

and umm... anything else you think I should know.

x Maize
  2. Welcome to Netrider, I'm from Melbourne too :) Make sure you use the search function to find relevant threads before making a new one, that's the big one the mods get all pissy about. If you do start a new thread, probably go to the Noob tips and questions forum. I can't help with most of those questions. What I can say is that in regards to the used kilometres, it's more important to look at how the kms were put on and how the bike has been treated. I've heard of 60000km bikes that are still running perfectly, and 20k bikes that have been thrashed to hell and back. Researching the specific bike model for common problems is also a good idea (eg. I know i'm going to have a shitload of trouble with my Royal Enfield). In regards to how long it takes for training, I hadn't ridden anything but a dirtbike when I was 10yo and I got my L's after the standard five-six hour training course. If you rode a bicycle as a child you'll find a lot of similarities and be quite comfortable (or at least I did). Make sure you sit on lots of bikes and find one that feels right to you. Same with the gear.
  3. Hello Maize and a warm welcome to Netrider !
    You'll love it here, a wealth of information at your fingertips !
    As Gurbachen has pointed out, the search function will reveal many undiscovered topics, questions and answers. You'll also find it's many/most members who will periodically mention the 'use the search function' or 'search is your friend' as just 2 phrase examples, and clearly not just the Mods who get shirty about it (y)
    You'll find some topics (obviously very popular ones) have been repeated/new threads created ad nauseum, so again, using the 'search' function will reveal a plethora of info.
    Welcome aboard, happy learning and best of luck with your Learner's :)
  4. Hi Maize, welcome to NR.

The type of bike will depend a little bit on what kind of style you like. With regard to the bike types, there are 3 basic types of ride position.

Cruisers - (think Harley). These are a laid back ride position with your feet out in front. Generally a low seat hight.
    Standard - These are a more upright riding position with your feet directly under your hips (I personally prefer this)
    Sports - leaning forward with more weight on your arms and your feet a little behind your hips.

I would recommend trying all 3 types by going to some shops and sitting on them to see how they feel to you.

Anything less than a 250cc engine may struggle if you are doing any long riding, or freeway riding. You can ride upto a 660cc bike on your L's, as long as the power to weight ratio is OK. There are a list of bikes that meet the criteria. Once you know what style you are after, you can start to look at specific bikes. You'll be able to get lots of advice on here.

Two stroke engines tend to be noisier and are more often found on dirt bikes. Most road bikes are 4 stroke.

If you can ride a bike (so balance is OK) then you can learn to ride a motor bike in a day. Most people do the L's course never having ridden before (if not most, then certainly lots). Once you have your L's, you'll probably still feel nervous about riding, so, get together with other riders and practice in safe areas. I noticed that you are in Melbourne. If you are free, why don't you come down to the Saturday morning training sessions in St Kilda. We'd all be happy to answer your questions, and you can watch what we're doing. Check out the thread here.
  5. G'day mate, welcome aboard you are in the right place. Probably best thing to do is head down to HART or similar training facility and book in for your L's. They will not only train you but they will also test you. After 2 days you will be qualified to legally and safely ride a motorbike.

Ofcourse you will need to build up your experience after that and there is only one way to do that, the fun way, by RIDING....

With regard to which bike, specs, k's etc it really depends on the following:

* Your height and weight
    * What sort of riding you want to do eg daily or just on weekends etc.
    * What is your budget

I probably wouldn't choose a 2 stroke bike for the road and for my first bike. If your budget allows it, you might be able to get into a reasonably late model bike. You should head down and have a chat to a few dealers and sit on some bikes see what you like.

Must also factor in cost of appropriate riding gear and insurance when working out how much you want to spend.

I have found that Peter Stephens good to deal with in the past. Their staff are pretty friendly and seem to have a bit of experience around the place. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck..
  6. Thank you guys all so much! I'm really glad I found this site :)

Those saturdays look fantastic!
    I work in StKilda usually on weekends, so I could definitely rock up before work one day. I especially love that someone might help you get there on your bike (will definitely want help) Looking at the thread you really need to have a bike already, right?

I sat on a few bikes in a store today and I think I really like the upright bikes. There was a newish Honda-something I liked the feel of. It was 6 grand, though.

You guys talking about how quick the learner's deal is is a GREAT help to my nerves!

I'm 167cm and 50kg. I'd want to be able to drive to work/school and be able to visit my parents who live in a few hours out of Melbourne. My budget is really just as low as I can get. I'd be looking at second hand everything - gear and all.
  7. You don't necessarily have to go second hand on gear if you go to a clearance store and worry about functionality over brand names and style. I bought my gear from AMX and they had some fantastic prices. All up the full set cost me...$600? round about. That was boots, kevlar jeans, gloves, jacket, wet weather pants cover, and the helmet. Buy cheap workable stuff now and upgrade as you go.
  8. that link is me :)

$600 is still a lot, isn't it?

I think I'll just rely on me being on a motorcycle to make me cool rather than brand name gear :p

Pants wise, are jeans ok? Or do you need leather pants and things?
  9. You really want at least kevlar jeans. It's all about slide time before the material melts into your skin. I think normal denim has a slide time of like .5 seconds, kevlar jeans are at least a few seconds, plus double/triple stitching and all that. $600 for a full set of junk is pretty cheap I think, you can easily spend near double that just on a jacket. You can of course go secondhand if you want, only thing you really need brand new is the helmet
  10. you will need a bike to participate, but there is no reason why you can't drop in before you get a bike and meet everyone. We'd be happy to talk to you and give you as much advice as you want. Pop on down as soon as you can and say hello.

you could look at a bike like this for example.

If you are going to get second hand gear, just make sure that you get a new Helmet. Once a helmet has been dropped, you need to replace it. You don't know what may have happened to a second hand one. My advice with gear is to make sure you get a decent helmet, as you don't want anything too heavy and make sure it's good quality that will protect you.
  11. ohh, 'cause the helmet on the inside kind of melds to the shape of your head? Think I heard that somewhere.
    why do you need to replace a helmet as soon as it's dropped?

Makes sense on the jeans!

My budget for the bike is probably about three grand.. maybe three and half. Super cheap. Gear, I guess would be really great if I could get it for under $600. Been looking a bit on ebay. Are there any good brands about that aren't super expensive??

On the bike in that link - engine capacity is the cc, yeah? The more cc the faster it can go?
  12. Well you're only a little thing, plenty of 250s for under $3000, and whatever you save on the bike can be spent on gear and vice versa. The way helmets work (the laymans version because i don't know the specifics :p) is that they're filled with some sort of material that in an accident breaks and shatters, absorbing the kinetic force instead of it transferring it to your head. Once the inside is broken, it's useless and must be replaced. If you drop a helmet, it may be fine inside, it might not be, no way to tell, and it's really not the kind of thing you want to take a chance on. So you just replace it outright. Some claim it has to have a 5kg weight inside the helmet for it to shatter but I don't know what that info is based on
  13. ohh awesome, so 250s are the way to go for me?

I'd never known that about the helmets. So kinda like a lot of car's bonnets are like that, too yeah?

Makes sense. Knowing me, I'll probably drop the helmet on my way home form buying it, though >.<
  14. I think the idea is that if it drops from an more than about a meter, you should get it replaced. Dropping them is an expensive game to play, might be best to avoid doing that ;)

For your size, I'd say a 250 will be fine. If you do a search on bike sales (where I got that link from) you'll see heaps of them under 3k. The one I put here was almost 4, but, it only had 3300 km on it. Barely had the engine worn in. If you do your L's at HART, you may do the course on a CB250, so that would give you a chance to test it out. I'm talking Honda, cause that's what I know, but I'm sure others can point you to other bikes too. I think the CB250 is a good bike tho. Good size for you, upright position, will sit on freeway speeds no problem (not much over that speed tho) and Honda's tend to be very reliable. Just my $0.02.
  15. welll there's a lot of debate about 250s. Some believe they're dangerous as many of them don't have the power to get you out of trouble where necessary, and aren't suited to long distance high speed travel. I was warned off them by several people saying i'd get bored of it really quick. Then again I'm 125kgs (all muscle herp derp) and 180cm around, so you might have less issue. The 250s are at least very cheap.

Also just to disagree with minglis, I have a few more categories of bikes to avoid insults (someone called my bike a mini harley and i lost it)

Cruisers: Harleys, V-stars, Hyo GVs
    Choppers: Silly bloody raked bodies and super high handlebars that i don't possibly see could possibly be comfortable (not quite avoiding insults here lol)
    Classics: Like the Kawasaki W400 or my own Royal Enfield
    Sports: Super duper speedy little plastic things zipping about with their pilots lying down flat
    Naked: To me, this one is kind of a half category because most of them seem to me like sports bikes just with the fairings removed. Not a lot of difference. What I call classics are also called nakeds quite often

I'm a self-confessed noob but that's how I think of the different types of bikes
  16. yeah, I think one of the guys at the store I was at today was telling me not to get one as it won't go fast enough if something bad happens on the freeway.

I'll be extra careful with my bike helmet, then :p

If I'm going to and from school/work/parents' it's also pretty likely I'll have either a heap of school books and/or a guitar. Is it really dangerous if I strap a guitar to my back, or to the side of the bike? Are there some kinds of accessories I can get that'll help with any baggage I need to transport around?
  17. @ 50kg, I reckon a 250 would get you out of trouble just fine. If you come down to a Sat session, you'll find heaps of people riding them. You can ask all the questions you wish.

I figured the 3 basic types would be sufficient to get the idea for someone who claims to know nothing. There are other categories too, like motards or cafe racers etc.. Didn't see too much value in breaking it down any further. (but didn't mean to offend you by suggesting that all cruisers are Harley's).

Nakeds are usually standard riding position, not sports. I'm sure there are nakeds that sit you in a sports position too tho. You can get sports/tourers that are an upright sports bike too.
  18. Oh I didn't mean to imply you'd insulted me, just thought I'd add my $0.02 too. and lol, let's get her on a Goldwing
  19. Oh and about the guitar, welll...I dunno, I haven't tried to carry anything that big. How long would you be riding? You could probably manage if you took it easy and minimised the wind resistance, but it depends on weights too