Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello from Melb. New road biker with no bike here

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by d e d, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Hi all,
    Basically posting coz I got a warning that accounts without posts get pruned.

Grew up riding dirt bikes in the country on our farm, moved to Melb. for study/jobs, but only recently got my motorbike L's.
    No road bike as yet or near future (money concerns - uni student :-( )

Have slowly been reading/researching all things road bikes for a few years in anticipation for when I eventually get one...want to try and be minimal-squid-like as possible when that day comes.

2. Hi Cobo, Maybe hang around and post a bit :) I am sure you have valid things to say. Yes I remember being a Uni student, money is tight. A bike can be fairly cheap to run though. What sort of bike are you interested in?
  3. Hi cjvfr,
    Thanks for the reply :)
    Yeah have been considering how much more economical a bike is vs. a car (and potentially public transport which I loathe).
    Still, I need all the gear (I won't skimp) + bike + insurance so it's still out of my affordability atm...

I'm definitely a sports bike fan, with a bit (small) of a naked soft spot (street triples; omg).
    I would prob start out on a 250 purely because it would be so cheap to register, insure and maintain. However not sure how it would fare on long rides down to the folks and country riding like that...maybe that's where a 600 fits the bill.
    Once I get closer to buying a bike I will heavily read up on what to look for etc (common issues and how they are covered up etc etc) as I've been mainly reading up on riding skills.

One day! =D
    • Like Like x 1
  4. This is your thread now so post up how you are going. Good Luck with the saving. Hope to see you out there soon. (n)
  5. G'day cobo & welcome to NR:)
    Some great info to be had here.
    Good luck when it comes time to get your bike.
  6. Welcome to NR.
  7. Thanks guys :)
  8. yep welcome, there's a bikes for sale where other netrider folk sell and upgrade etc, might be a spot for you to maybe find your bike.