Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello from Launceston

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by PreviousUser8, Jun 6, 2007.

1. How did I miss this forum? I don't know how long I've been prowling the discussions and completely missed this section.

Anyway, I should introduce myself.

My name is Cariad and I'm from Launceston in the now completely frosted state of Tasmania. I'm tech support with the Uni.

I have wanted a bike for a while now after my brother parked his handsome new Virago in our driveway when I was 14. When I said that I wanted one I copped the usual "what do you want that for???" and disgruntled naysaying from people. I stuck to my guns of wanting one but really persued it until recently when one of my best friends turned to me a few months ago and said "Let's do a motorcycle course". It was very liberating and now I'm hooked. (as I knew I would be)

I've booked into my pre-L's course on the 23/24 of this month and I'm really excited.

It's funny, the more I get into bikes the more accepting the people who told me I shouldn't do it are. One of my brothers in law told me that I shouldn't get a bike as they're dangerous and I could get killed. (Despite the fact that he had one, protective hypocrisy, gotta love it).. now he's watching ebay and the trading post like a hawk and has volunteered to go bike shopping with me, even to go to the mainland for one for me.

I don't know whether that is standard for most riders. People who care, don't want to see you hurt or in danger but they can't help but share in your happiness and excitement.
  2. Welcome aboard mate. Its all fun here.
    You may need heated grips down there. Or am I just getting old? :LOL:
    Oh, bugger it you'll thaw out eventually :p
  3. Alrite & welcome.

Fellow newbie from Tas (other end though). Am booked 09 & 10/6/07 for the Pre-L's so know how you feel.

See you out there (maybe on a long ride or something, this IS Tasmania).

4. hi cariad, welcome to the forum!

y'know the state's not completely frosted over :p we've still got some nice weather down the southern end! :D

as Rayn said, maybe see you out on the road eventually, Launnie's not far away, and good luck with your test!
  5. Thanks guys. Launy/Hobart aren't far away but it'll take me a while to pluck up the courage to head down the midlands hwy at 80kph. It's bad enough when you're doing 110kph.

Best of luck with your test this weekend, Rayn.