Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello from Kalahari Ozzie

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Cecil Barnard, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Good evening from a sweltering hot Warwick (QLD). Lovely to join your group.

I started riding in the early 70's on our farm in South Africa, trying out a Lambretta 250cc scooter my dad used to patrol the fences. Learned quickly that locking the front brake on sand results in sand in most body openings. We later upgraded to a Honda 185cc XR (or something similar) scrambler, which was the start of my motorcycle journey.

A professor at Uni impressed me with a late 80's series BMW R80 GS, especially how many first year students of the fairer sex loved the bike and Harry Potter glasses. I bought a R1100GS, then a orange R1150GS (promptly named "Big Bertha") which took me through Africa on the eastern side up to the UK. When I decided to swap springboks for kangaroos I brought it along, and rode the east-coast on it. My arse itched, and I sold the 1150 to a fellow ex-South African and got a brand new red R1200 GS Adventure (lack of imagination prompted me to name it "Big Bertha II").

The two of us cover about 65,000km in six years (not a lot I know), and excluding the cash in a flash blokes and one sneaky corner between Woodenbong and Beaudesert we still have a wonderful riding life together. I love riding, it is the cheapest form of therapy and taught me how to connect with total strangers in the weirdest places. I love my BMW GS Adventure, and will keep it for quite some time, perhaps buy something else with it, like a Yamaha R1 or a RR BMW. I also write short stories of my travels, mostly my personal experiences and observations.

Looking forward to be part of this community.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Welcome Cecil from not so hot Melbourne :)
  3. Welcome to NR, Cecil.

A wonderful introduction and write up.
  4. Welcome mate.

As an aside the average kilometers traveled a year is 14,000 km (from ABS 2012), just under 11,000 km/year on a motorbike is pretty damn good.
  5. Welcome Cecil. yes, I wouldn't be ashamed of those sorts of mileage figures!
  6. Welkom Cecil. Hoop jy geniet hierdie 'forum' sommer baie!

Snaaks om weer in Afrikaans te moet tik!Haha
  7. welcome aboard :]
  8. Ag, sis tog George, ek het gehoop om geen Afrikaans hier in Aus te hoer nie. Die enigste woord wat ek hier gebruik is "kuk" ;-).

Welcome Cecil - ah memories of scramblers in the African bush - awesome. Oh and early morning breakfast runs to the Hartebeespoort dam (not on scramblers) with no speed limits :whistle:
  9. Welcome. [emoji4]
  10. P.S: from memory the Honda 185 was the XL. Had a friend with one and pretty sure I beat up another one at someone's timber farm in the E Tvl...