Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello from another newbie

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Daisyhaze, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Hi, thought I should introduce myself, having just discovered this forum.

I am a 41 year old female (42 in a couple of weeks :eek: ). I have only recently got my L's, and am the very proud owner of a lovely little red postie bike. I am really enjoying buzzing around town on my bike, and stoked that I can get to work and back for a fortnight on around $3 worth of fuel :grin: I chose a postie because I have never ridden before, and thought it would be good to learn on, and it is great, but I am already thinking about getting a 'real' bike :p

My OH has a BMW K1000 (it is nearly 20 years old, and although he loves it he will be updating very soon). I have been going out with him for three years, and after my initial trepidation (read terror!) I found that I really enjoyed riding on the back of his bike. We often go for short rides on the weekend, and rode to QLD and back last year. Had a great ride last week from my place (Goulburn) to Exeter, through Kangaroo Valley to Nowra, then lunch at Berry, home via Kiama and Robertson, what a great day. Anyway, I am now thinking that i might like to ride my own bike when we go for a ride. (Poor little Clarence the postie has a top speed of around 85kmph downhill with a tailwind, so he is strictly for riding around town).

I was looking for someplace on the net that I could find out more about bikes before I buy my next one, and here I am :) At the moment I am looking at the Yamaha V Star Custom (650) or the Honda VT750C. I really like the look of the cruisers, but probably wouldn't go for a Harley because of the price tag (and I believe they don't handle too well, please don't crucify me for saying that!). So I will be reading up on what people have to say about these bikes. My OH says I should go for a 250 next... baby steps... but I reckon that I would probably want to go on to something bigger, and I don't want to have to keep trading up but rather buy something that I will be happy with for a long time (OH thinks I should buy second hand, but for once in my life I want to lash out and buy myself a brand new vehicle, and a new bike costs less than a new car :p )

So, sorry in advance for my ignorance, hopefully here to learn some more and make some new (bike-riding) friends :)
  2. Welcome to NR Daisey :grin:

And, think I'm in lurve with Clarence! :LOL:

Great intro! A lot more than some people usually bother with :grin:

I'm sure you'll find LOADS of helpful info and people here, and don't be shy about asking Q's, but hope you've got a GSOH, fair bit of pisstaking here on NR too :p
  3. Hey Daisy, welcome to NR, great name for ya bike, love it :p . You'll be able to find all the information you'll want to know with the communities vast experience :LOL: .
  4. Hi Daisy,
    Congrats on getting your licence! I only got my L's last August and my licence in November and am having a great time, it's a great 'couple' thing to do. We aren't too far up the road, so next time you are heading up to the Pie Shop let me know and you can have a look at my bike, it's a 650. How tall are you? I know that kinda limited my choice of bikes :p
    Postie bikes seem to be a popular little bike - I see a few around here!
  5. Thanks for the welcome everyone :)

Hey fran_e, will def let you know next time we are out our way, I love going to the pie shop - half the time I don't even have a pie, just drool over the bikes :LOL:

I am 5'5", so pretty average height for a girl. As i am looking at cruisers though I should go ok, as I think they are lower to the ground?? Next weekend i am going to Canberra to have a look at the new Honda VT400, can't wait :)