Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello from a newbie

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Noticibly F.A.T, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Hi all.

My name is Luke. I live in Anglesea, and i'm going for my bike learners next saturday :)

I have wanted a bike for aaaages, and i am finally getting my license, so i'm also looking for a bike :)

Me and my brother used to have a Honda XL250R (enduro) when i was 15 for about 3 years or so. Good farm bike! (grew up on 100acres).

Um.... Don't really know what else to put in here...

Oh, my first bike. I haven't got one yet. I'm looking to spend around 2 grand. Not much, cause i'll prolly drop it or something stupid. Once i come off the power restrictions i'll prolly get a nice new bike (read: bigger!)

Im after a bike that can have a rack fitted, and has enough space under the seat for pants or a jacket.

So yeah, i'm thinking a GPX250. I also like the RGV250, but i've heard bad things about 2 strokes. Things like top end rebuilds etc. Needless to say i wanna do alot of research before i buy. I'm definately not one to rush in to things.

Oh, and i'm 6ft 2, and 120kgs... So i'll need a bike thats comfortable... lol

Thanks for reading :)
  2. Pretty much any bike can have a rack fitted, so no worries there. However, I don't know of a single bike that has space under the seat for pants or a jacket. The Suzuki Across has its tank under the seat, leaving what would be tank as a storage locker. This may be the go for you if you're set on having some on-board storage.

Personally, I'd just get a bike that "fits" you and go with a rack and bag.

Oh, welcome to NR! :grin:
  3. Ah ok. Cause this jacket im looking at has an inner section for winter/rain/cold that you can zip out. It screws up pretty small. Wanted to be able to stash it somewhere....

I think getting a bike that fits is definately number 1 priority :)
  4. Most people tend to just leave the liner at home during the warm months. No need to carry it around with you when it's 30C+ outside, hey?

Go sit on every 250 you can find. Put your feet up and lean on the bars. Get a true idea of what they feel like. Don't just sit astride them and go, "Yeah, this feels okay...."
  5. Ok cheers :) Will do. Thanks a bunch! :)
  6. Good luck in getting a GPX to haul a 120kg arse around [​IMG]

You'll be up for a new clutch & engine in no time :p

Anyways welcome [​IMG]
  7. Really? Damn..... What would you suggest?
  8. Mrs Tree and I went two-up on her ZZR 250 many times (same mechanicals as the GPX, IIRC). Total weight was 140kg. Handled it no problem.

MG, which learner bike would you suggest he tries???
  9. [​IMG] I've never owned &/or ridden a learner/250cc bike before (except of license testing)
    so I'm not the person to be asking.

Welcome aboard Fat [​IMG]
  10. Thanks mate. Hopefully someone here can suggest something adequate :)
    Needless to say, i'll be testing as many as i can so i can see for myself which is the most comfortable :)
  11. Way to go bud because its the only way you'll know 100%

Was a joke. Thought that was pretty obvious [​IMG]

Hey cookeehead
    Same goes for you as well ya nOOb knob [​IMG]
  12. welcome.
    you would be in the same weight division as me, you got 25kgs advantage, but once you get over 90 its all super-heavyweight, so lets fight! :grin:
  13. [​IMG] Joel

* pinches Joel's emoticon for later use *
  14. *scratches head and wonders what MG's been smoking...*
  15. Yay! My mate has an across 250 that he is gonna let me take for a ride to see if i like them. :)

Sweet!!!!! :)

Just gotta pass the L's on Saturday :)
  16. All the best matey :cool:
  17. Got my L's!

YAY! :)

Just need a bike now.... :) Deinately road bike. Most likely sports. Around 2 grand..... :)
  18. Hey luke, welcome to NR!
    I'm in the same boat as you, trying to find a fisrt bike, also 6'2" (but an absolute rake at ~70kg :LOL: ).
    Good luck with the test on Sat
  19. Might want to review this site before you go buying a bike...

Excerpt From the RTA Site

Eligible Motorcycles in the category 0-260ml.
    All models with the exception of:
    Suzuki RGV250
    Kawasaki KR250 (KR-1 and KR1s models)
    Honda NSR250
    Yamaha TZR250
    Aprila RS250
    RTA LAMS List
  20. Yeah, i had a look at that. Definately don't wan't a 2 stroke so RGV is outta the question.

I'm pretty keen on an accross, cause of the storage space.

Failing that its a GPX or a ZZR...