Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello from a newbie

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Noticibly F.A.T, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Hi all.

My name is Luke. I live in Anglesea, and i'm going for my bike learners next saturday :)

I have wanted a bike for aaaages, and i am finally getting my license, so i'm also looking for a bike :)

Me and my brother used to have a Honda XL250R (enduro) when i was 15 for about 3 years or so. Good farm bike! (grew up on 100acres).

Um.... Don't really know what else to put in here...

Oh, my first bike. I haven't got one yet. I'm looking to spend around 2 grand. Not much, cause i'll prolly drop it or something stupid. Once i come off the power restrictions i'll prolly get a nice new bike (read: bigger!)

Im after a bike that can have a rack fitted, and has enough space under the seat for pants or a jacket.

So yeah, i'm thinking a GPX250. I also like the RGV250, but i've heard bad things about 2 strokes. Things like top end rebuilds etc. Needless to say i wanna do alot of research before i buy. I'm definately not one to rush in to things.

Oh, and i'm 6ft 2, and 120kgs... So i'll need a bike thats comfortable... lol

Thanks for reading :)

2. Pretty much any bike can have a rack fitted, so no worries there. However, I don't know of a single bike that has space under the seat for pants or a jacket. The Suzuki Across has its tank under the seat, leaving what would be tank as a storage locker. This may be the go for you if you're set on having some on-board storage.

Personally, I'd just get a bike that "fits" you and go with a rack and bag.

Oh, welcome to NR! :grin:

3. Ah ok. Cause this jacket im looking at has an inner section for winter/rain/cold that you can zip out. It screws up pretty small. Wanted to be able to stash it somewhere....

I think getting a bike that fits is definately number 1 priority :)

4. Most people tend to just leave the liner at home during the warm months. No need to carry it around with you when it's 30C+ outside, hey?

Go sit on every 250 you can find. Put your feet up and lean on the bars. Get a true idea of what they feel like. Don't just sit astride them and go, "Yeah, this feels okay...."

5. Ok cheers :) Will do. Thanks a bunch! :)

6. Good luck in getting a GPX to haul a 120kg arse around giggle.

You'll be up for a new clutch & engine in no time :p

Anyways welcome smiley_peace.

7. Really? Damn..... What would you suggest?

8. Mrs Tree and I went two-up on her ZZR 250 many times (same mechanicals as the GPX, IIRC). Total weight was 140kg. Handled it no problem.

MG, which learner bike would you suggest he tries???

9. whisper. I've never owned &/or ridden a learner/250cc bike before (except of license testing)
    so I'm not the person to be asking.

sorry.

Welcome aboard Fat shake.

10. Thanks mate. Hopefully someone here can suggest something adequate :)
    Needless to say, i'll be testing as many as i can so i can see for myself which is the most comfortable :)

11. Way to go bud because its the only way you'll know 100%

thyeahthat.

Was a joke. Thought that was pretty obvious icon_e_confused.

NoobEmoticon.

Hey cookeehead
    Same goes for you as well ya nOOb knob thsmack.

12. welcome.
    you would be in the same weight division as me, you got 25kgs advantage, but once you get over 90 its all super-heavyweight, so lets fight! :grin:
    tamm.
    :rofl:

13. laff. Joel

* pinches Joel's emoticon for later use *

14. *scratches head and wonders what MG's been smoking...*

15. Yay! My mate has an across 250 that he is gonna let me take for a ride to see if i like them. :)

Sweet!!!!! :)

Just gotta pass the L's on Saturday :)

16. All the best matey :cool:

17. Got my L's!

YAY! :)

Just need a bike now.... :) Deinately road bike. Most likely sports. Around 2 grand..... :)

18. Hey luke, welcome to NR!
    I'm in the same boat as you, trying to find a fisrt bike, also 6'2" (but an absolute rake at ~70kg :LOL: ).
    Good luck with the test on Sat

19. Might want to review this site before you go buying a bike...

Excerpt From the RTA Site

Eligible Motorcycles in the category 0-260ml.
    All models with the exception of:
    Suzuki RGV250
    Kawasaki KR250 (KR-1 and KR1s models)
    Honda NSR250
    Yamaha TZR250
    Aprila RS250
    RTA LAMS List

20. Yeah, i had a look at that. Definately don't wan't a 2 stroke so RGV is outta the question.

I'm pretty keen on an accross, cause of the storage space.

Failing that its a GPX or a ZZR...