Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello, ER6f or FZ6? - first post.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Mordeth, Apr 3, 2006.

1. ER6f

2. FZ6

0 vote(s)
  3. get a horse....better for the environment

0 vote(s)
  1. Greetings all. My first post here. I've been riding for about 11 years and my last bike was a CBR600RR.
    [IMG:152:115:8162dd0c9b]http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7199/bikke8cr.th.jpg[/img:8162dd0c9b] <-- my actual (ex)bike

I sold it about 7 months ago, although I do have two scooters I still ride. Summer is coming and the rain is stopping and the scooters just don't cut it for long distance travel anymore.

My choices are: A new Kawasaki ER6f: http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=759&fArticleId=3047213

Or a 2nd hand FZ6n : http://www.fivestaryamaha.com.au/new_bike_details.asp?id=4

A friend of mine owns a Kwak dealership...and it'd be nice to buy from him. But I have already seen one 650R on the net with a deffective frame (it bust at a weld point...for no reason). And I'm a bit leary about buying the first years model of a new type of bike.

The FZ6n could save me some money. And on paper it makes more power, has better brakes, suspension....and is more similiar to the style of my last bike..the CBR (but I'm not sure if that's a good point or bad one).

Sometimes I think if I buy the FZ6 (inline 4) it will just feel like a weaker version of my last bike....and maybe the 650R (inline 2) would be a more interesting new experience for me.

All the reviews for the 650R are exceptional.....while the FZ6 draws more mixxed opinions. But I often here the FZ6 isn't a good beginners bike...and that it "Takes work to ride".....well, I'm no beginner.

I already told the Kwak shop owner I would buy from him....but now I'm having second thoughts...mainly due to the 30-40 extra horses the Yam comes with. Plus the reliability on the Yam has already been proven....while the Kwak has yet to prove itself.

Reason I went down from a CBR600RR isn't because it was "too fast" for me.....I'd often redline it in 6th. But it was maybe a tad "too dangerous" considering the fact I was stupid enough to redline it in 6th :wink: . I'm also looking for something cheaper....that I don't have to worry about as much (dropping it....scratches...etc).

Well, that's where I am now. I'll be able to pick up one or the other in a week from today.
  2. Followed the kawka in traffic the other night and it looked very Buellish from the back: very neat and not busy looking. I went to Cosways and looked at one on Saturday and I gotta say, I love the red frame with with the black bodywork. certainly looks the goods. Motor wont rip your arms off, but will be fairly foolproof. cant see how these bikes will "take work to ride"? simple engine and setup. Big change in bike for someone that was redlining a CBR in 6th :shock: :?
  3. I will be looking at both of these bikes for my upgrade, I love the look of the Kwaka and the local dealer seems pretty good.

Don't think you could go wrong with either, I will test ride them when I get closer to the decision point to decide.

I love the look of naked bikes but I have decided I need some fairing to hide behind on cold Melbourne mornings. So at this stage for ME the Kwaka looks the goods.

Oh welcome to the forums :grin:
  4. I got the naked ER-6 and it's apleasure to ride. She's idiot proof she does what I want her to without fuss. She tips into corners well stops well and accelerates pretty good too. 2 things you'll want to change if you get one.
    1. Tyres, the dunlops they come with aren't too bad in the dry but in the wet they suck....badly.
    2. Muffler, it's too quiet so no one can hear me which is good when I'm pulling up at 2 in the morning from work so I don't wake anyone but people don't look at what they're doing and try and merge into me.
    Can't comment on the FZ-6 cos I've never ridden one. Take both for a spin if you can and buy which one you like better.
  5. The opposite would hold true for me. I live in Taiwan (born in Blackpool raised in Canada), which is almost a tropical island (sub-tropical by definition).

And thanks for the welcome.

I could borrow a FZ6 to ride....but they won't allow me to test ride a new bike. So I'd rather not test ride the FZ6 if I can't test the ER6, incase I end up buying the ER6 and then regret it.
  6. I wouldn't touch an FZ6, if you do some searches you'll see that most magazines think it's the wrong engine for this type of bike (buzz box)....the old model was a different story though ;)

The ER on the other hand has been getting some rave reviews.

Also check out a Z750, great little bikes.
  7. hey mate,

well i cant coment on the kwaka, but i did take a test ride on the FZ6. I currently ride a R6. I asked my mate at the dealership if there was a huge difference. He told me to take it for a spin and tell me when you get back.

So im thinking its got my engine in it and up right handle bars, there couldnt be too much difference right? WRONG!

The bike handles completely different. The fact that i am used to riding sports bike so I knew the turning was going to be different but the most noteable was the engine. Alot more torque down low and the rush of power feeling that id got with the R6 was gone. So the power down low would be fantastic through traffic but i like the rush of power.

Best bet take both bikes for a test ride and decide for yourself. Im sure theres not going to be problems with either bike.

I ended up getting a Cagiva raptor (for the missus). Low VERY low seat height hehehe cant go wrong with a V-Twin besides that it makes my bike sound like a little school girl now.

Was a little worried about her going from a 250 to a 1000 but its like a 250 with a 1000cc engine int it. Very easy to ride.