Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello and G'day

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by bombr, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Total newb here so be gentle.

Grew up riding dirt bikes on the farm before leaving Africa to seek fame and fortune. Having found neither and ending up in Sydney all grown up the desire to get back into bikes has resurfaced along with the means to do so.

Got my L's recently so now the search begins for the elusive perfect learners bike to get me up and running on the roads.

Looking forward to gleaning as much information from you guys as possible.

2. Welcome to NR. (y) We are all famous here. :)

What bikes have you shortlisted?

3. Thank's Lazy Libran,

Currently in a real quandary about suitability of the bike so very open to suggestions. Main use of the learners bike will be commuting into and out of the city so have been looking at

• Suzuki DRZ400sm - great commuter and fun bike but possibly not suitable for anything else?
    • Kawasaki Ninja 250r - best selling bike!?

Thought about a bigger bike like Yamaha XJ6r or Suzuki SV650 but came to the conclusion that I don't like idea of a restricted engine and would rather make full use of something that fits the bill and then upgrade when license allows. If I had a clear stear on what would be best to perfect my riding on then I would jump on it...

4. Welcome to the forummm. Many find the GS500 or the CB400 fit the bill nicely. What about those?

5. Thanks Brmmm,

CB400 has potential. Right at the top of my budget as not being mechanically oriented I fear 2nd hand machines i.e. I am a dealers dream customer.

Not a fan of the GS for some reason... just can't get my taste buds around it.

6. I got mine from a dealer for $7.5K- 2 yrs old, 11K on the clock. Could probably sell it for close to that now. I think its a good way to go. They are very reliable in my opinion. Dont fear the second hand market with these.

The grey imports of older CB400s - well that's a very different matter. Stay clear of sumoto and similar dodgy dealers and you'll be right.

7. Thanks Brmmm,

Funny you mention them as saw an ad for sumoto yesterday and thought they might be worth checking out. Any tips on spotting a grey import?

Spotted a 2009 model at a dealer with 6k on the clock for $9k which I thought was steep but wouldn't know a realistic figure to bargain for. Trying to arm myself with as much info as possible!

8. I'm no expert. But I do know that its only 2008+ CB400 revos which are the real deal. Others go by the name of super fours etc and often do look similar. Yeah, try to get that 2009 one down to $8K and you should be about right if its absolutely immaculate.

9. Welcome to NR :)

+1 on the CB400 as an option. Great bike. I commute on mine into the city (Melbourne) every day. Fun in the twisty stuff too.

10. Thanks minglis,

Defo going to check out the CB400 as an option. DRZ keeps me looking for the fun factor but CB400 for the long term factor...

11. Welcome to Netrider

those two bikes are at the almost exact opposite of the spectrum in terms of comfort, at least

12. Thanks hornet,

Aware they are very different bikes. Like I said earlier if I had a clear steer on which would be the better learner bike for learning the craft of riding then it wouldn't be a question!

If say ultimately I wanted to end up on a sports bike is a there a logical choice for learning the craft and being a capable rider by the time it comes to upgrade?

13. welcome to NR

14. your learning is going to be more conditioned by your previous road experience, and how alert you are, and how good you are at 'reading' the road and the traffic, than by the type of bike you learn on, in my opinion.

15. Thanks goddie

Wise words hornet. So if I understand what your saying it doesn't matter what you ride just as long as you're pre disposition to being a good rider?

I've been a cage driver and owner for 12 years and been an active pushie rider on the road for the last 11 years so have some awareness of the road and traffic in general but obviously not from a motorcycle perspective. I plan to take slow and not commute from day 1 but build up to it slowly and also try and get to some training days. From a consumer perspective I just assumed some bikes might fit the bill a bit better than others but can see your point as to how that might not be the case.

16. Well I went and did it. Bought a DRZ400sm to fill the gap in my life! The only sad thing is I don't understand why I waited so long to get a bike! ](*,)

Next step is to get down to Homebush and learn how to make the most of it.