Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Hello and another highway commuting =]

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by SIFF, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Hey guys i am new to the forum and i will soon be getting my Ls again.... had a 250 ninja (great bike) but don't like wringing its neck on the highway so i was looking at a gs500 and cb400 for my highway commute (1 hour) and wanted advice on some alternate options, i don't want a restricted bike just something that will love the open road. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Vote 1 for a GS500f

Not that I'm biased...
  3. Thats Exactly what i like about gs owners haha they have sooo much passion and bias for thier ride and rate them well.
    thanks Mick!
    Any advice on cold morning starts? i will be moving to a high humidity area soon.
  4. Mine's only done 13,000km, so she's quite new and easy to start. Owners of more senior bikes might suggest a different procedure.

Mine is this: Regardless of ambient temp (read 2 to 40 degrees)

Cold engine = choke on full, no throttle, start, adjust revs to 2k - 3k, then after 30 seconds, choke off, let idle for 1-2 minutes and ride off, be kind to the bike for 2-5 minutes. Then, all bets are off.

Warm or hot engine. No choke (duh), 1/4 throttle, start, let idle for 10 seconds and ride off.

5. Thanks for the advice mate, looks like gs500f is on top of my list atm
    i will follow your cold start procedure religiously if i get one =]
  6. G'day SIFFSIFF and welcome to NR. I'm a CB400 supporter (you won't be disappointed with either choice, they're both solid bikes), however...

When I first (mis)read this comment I took it to mean there was a support and counselling group on Netrider for traumatised CB400 owners! :ROFLMAO:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. welcome aboard :]
  8. Haha the beauty of context in the english language, yeah the cb400 just looks mean with the 4 pipes and old school design. If i had the money it would be mine in a heart beat. Have to count my pennies right and see what i can do.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I feel very welcom, thanks =]