Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

hello! advice needed...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by xoraak, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Hi all, I'm new to the board- so a big heeelllo :)

I've recently passed my p's, and I'm about to buy my first bike. I don't have much experience, and some (overbearing) relatives have suggested I get an enduro bike because apparently they are better to learn on?
    98% of my riding will be on roads, commuting etc, so barely any dirt at all.
    Has anyone here had a similar bike (prob 250cc 4stroke or similar) for their first? Any good? Would something like a spada be better?

thanks, any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated...
  2. Welcome to the forums xoraak. :) At one stage or another, we've ended up riding in the dirt :p Try sitting (and if possible test riding) lots of 250s and see which one would be suitable for yourself. Every rider is different and you might be surprised by the bike you finally choose. Good luck!
  3. get the dirt bike and turn it into a motard, should be good unless you start doing longer tours and should keep both you and your relos happy.

But yer dirt and enduro bikes are designed to survive many a stack so you will have cheap repair bills while you are learning.

But its not about what I or your relos want, its what you want. So get out there and check out the offerings sit on them and if possible test ride them. A naked bike such as the spada is definitely a good option compared to a faired bike since the purchase price is likely to be a bit less and repairs and insurance is definitely less.

You might also want to read this work in progress....
  4. Knobbly Tyres

With Melbourne weather (NOT a cheap north-of-the-border shot, guys) doing most of your riding on tar with knobbly tyres will certainly accelerate your learning curve, but might also increase you chances of distressing your relos by doing some horizontal panel-beating! But, your choice. And welcome!
  5. A dirt bike is a good move. As matt said, drop the forks a little in the front yoke, put road tyres on it and go out and have fun. Dirt bike brakes are great these days and lean angles on chookies are very entertaining.

The added benefit will be when it comes time to do your test. They have fantastic turning circles and manoueuverability.

Then when you've finished your "P"'s, you can put dirt tyres back on and use it in the scrub and buy a "proper" road bike.

Dirt bikes are FUN.
  6. That's a bit odd. I must say, I've never met anyone with the patience to wait until they got their Bike P's to buy a bike and start riding! I got my bike, and THEN got my L's LOL

Welcome to our world too by the way :)
  7. howdy xoraak

a few of the older guys like me have ridden on everything from sand to snow and you'll find that each different surface - has to be dealt with different respect

some might tell you that it's good to learn on the dirt but you can't take the same attitude on the road

i found that trail riding teaches you how to get out of control and to throw or step off the bike when needed - very handy in a bad situation

and you have to remember there is a big weight difference between road & trail - something that is more important than power is when your hard up on the brakes and running out of road

i'd personally get a cheaper trail bike to learn how to keep good balance & skills on - then get a good intermediate roadbike with good all round handling and power

hey i'd just get both and have the best of both worlds save the guess work - whatever you decide good luck and happy trails.
  8. A dirt bike can be a great learner rig. The upright position gives you great vision, they are light and the wide bars make them easy to handle, get offs are super cheap to fix (if you have to fix anything at all)
    OTOS brakes tend to be not as good as they are sized for the dirt and engines are down on power compared to a roadie (but will keep up on the freeway no prob)
    Best of all once you're ready for an open class road bike you've already got a dirtbike in the stable.
  9. xoraak,

Welcome to the mad world of Netrider.

I would suggest sitting on AS MANY 250's as you can. You will soon find out what you like and what you don't like.

Don't go head first into buying a bike, make sure that it is something that you are comfortable on, and are happy with.

Come down to a Friday coffee @ Southbank, there are usually all shapes and sizes and makes of bikes that are there, and most are more than happy for you to have a sit and chat to you about the pro's and con's of the bike.

10. i would just get a cbr250 mate,its all differnt in controlling a dirt bike on road cos its got different turning circle etc
  11. thx for your input guys- some great advice, and now that I've saved up some $$$, it's trading post scanning for me!

hope to see everyone down at a coffee night soon some time (as soon as riding in the city doesn't cause a level one panic attack!)
    cheers :) :) :)