Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Helicopter HDR

Discussion in 'Non-Bikes' started by smee, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Am using the new niksoftware hdrefex pro
    I like it and this is the result

2. You are making us amatures work too had Smee.
    HDR = High Dynamic Range
    Nik Software HDR Efex Pro is the proper name.
    Here is the link: http://www.niksoftware.com/hdrefexpro/en/entry.php

It does make an impressive image though. The picture doesn't look quite as sharp as it could though, and looks a littel harsh, but the helicopter looks great.

I assume you have to plan to use HDR at the time of taking the picture, and it would help if you use a tripod and have a camera that will take the multiple exposures for you, with a range of settings.
  3. It's a single shot hdr, I haven't sharpened it for the effect plus it is downrezzed from 21mp.
  4. A single shot HDR. What camera was it on? Sorry if I am asking you to repeat yourself, again. I know you have told us around here somewhere. :D
  5. Was a normal photo taken with the 5d mark2
    I then put the RAW shot in the new software and played around.
    Still not sure of the effect though.
  6. Mm, call me old-fashioned but I really don't like how the HDR 'look' has become a parody of itself, where the things a HDR photographer tries to avoid have instead become the goal.

But dat's just me. :)
  7. There are subtle hdr's as well
    I think it's m0re for special effects than anything else.
    Still it's fun playing around with, I just wish I had the latest greatest mac to run it at full song.
  8. Yeah, I've seen a few great HDRs (of the multiple-exposure variety), where the effect is subtle and used to capture a scene the eye has no trouble with but a camera's limited dynamic range struggles with. It's a clever solution to a widespread problem.

I'm just not a fan of the 'HDR' photos which involve taking a single JPEG exposure and then 'improving' it by pushing the Contrast and Saturation sliders off of the charts, with shattering jumps in contrast and absurd fluroescent, iridescent, mind-bending vomitcolours. :)

(The helicopter above is not an example of that, mind you; it's pretty well restrained. :) )
  9. Not too shabby...

This whole one shot HDR thing is very cool and makes for an interesting conversation about the actual potential capability of cameras (if your into that kind of thing).