Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Held Phantom Gloves

Discussion in 'Gloves' started by [FLUX], May 14, 2010.

1. My new gloves just arrived from Sport Bike Track Gear, and while very pricy, they're a top notch piece of kit.

You can read all about them at the site link above, but my first test was to start punching the door frame, just to see how well they absorb impacts, and I had to stop when the whole wall started shaking and I still wasn't really feeling the impact, other than my hand stopping quickly. ie. they turned what was a finger-breaking bare-hand punch at a solid object into something that could be felt only mildly.

The palm and finger inner areas are made out of a very supple kangaroo leather that allows for excellent tactile feel of the bike controls, but all critical impact areas are gel-padded, with the high-abrasion areas being covered with manta-ray leather, that to my limited testing manages to be both smooth and strong at the same time in a way that far surpasses standard cow-hide.

My old gloves were the Dainese Hellfire's, and these Held Phantoms make those look and feel like bargain basement items in terms of feel, impact protection, and overall quality.

Yes, they're top-dollar items, and I gotta say I really felt like I was taking a risk stumping up that sort of cash for a set of gloves, but the moment I put them on and looked at the detail and how they protect your hands I was one very happy buyer. The old saying is true in that you get what you pay for, and I love finding out that it's still possible to buy true quality items in this "make it good enough, so long as it's cheap" modern world of manufacture.

Two thumbs up from me for these items.
  2. I was actually looking around for new gloves today and looked at these.

Are they bulky? Would the cuff fit underneath a jacket sleeve? Do they look as wierd in person as on STG's youtube review?

I currently have A* GP Tech gloves and am extremely happy with them, but they are starting to wear after a couple of offs and a couple of years. I was trying to decide between another pair of these, the Phantoms or the new Knox Handroids.
  3. They're a little bulky on the back of the hand, but that's fine. The arm section is made to be done up loose to go over a jacket, and I just tried to do it right up and it looks like it'd fit under an average jacket sleeve easily enough. A really tight fitting sleeve wouldn't allow it to go under. The main part of the gauntlet bulk is on the top of the forearm, the under part is fairly thin.

That bulk is somewhat welcome though, 'cos when on and done up properly, the gloves do support the wrist to a fair degree from bending back too far.

I bought the black ones, and so in person they look fine. The multi-colored ones would look a bit garish, as per the youtube video (which is why I chose black).
  4. Jesus thats a lot of money.. good to hear you're happy with the find though :)

I think its more about overall design.. and luck, if you find a good pair rather than just the money you spend.

I've had a pair of S3 performance gloves tear stitching in a mild off, and completely tear the inner lining from just putting my hand in
    - $89

Another pair of noname ones from ebay - $25 delivered :p
    The straps tore off within 2 weeks of normal use, and they're generally uncomfortable, crappy shape. And have no knuckle armour..

And i currently have some $60 gloves on the way from ebay, armoured gauntlet style of course.. will just wait and see how they turn out

Plus dad bought some noname winter gloves 25 years ago, for $20.. and they're still virtually new. So I can't really justify spending heaps on a pair.

I guess it depends what you're after, higher priced stuff should last a few more crashes than cheap stuff.. but the cheap stuff should still protect you, and then just buy another cheap pair until the next crash
  5. I have a pair of them. Bought them in the USA when I was there a couple of years ago. They're the most comfortable glove I've ever used. Great feel on the throttle, and the kangaroo hide makes a heap of difference to the whole feel of the glove.

Not a mark on my hands after a fairly heavy off last year. (Busted 8 ribs, punctured lung, broken collarbone, shattered shoulderblade). But not a mark on my hands. Heavy scrapes across most of the carbon knuckles and across the wrist areas. Totally saved my skin.
    They're still ok to use but I'm awaiting another pair.
  6. Well, wore them properly for the first time today on a 700km ride (door to door), and they were excellent. As you say FastR1Red, good feel for the controls with the soft roo hide. The visor wiper blade on the left forefinger was brilliant, and came in very handy today after riding through some thick fog patches. One wipe, clear vision again with no droplets on the visor. Will be handy too when out of town and cleaning the visor in whatever water is around, to be able to wipe it off properly with the blade.

I'd have to say that down to about 10C air is about their comfortable limit, without added glove liners or heated handgrips. It got cooler than that today, and below 10C or so the hands do start to feel cold. Mind you, SportBikeTrackGear also sell the silk glove liners by Held, so am thinking they'll be in the next purchase from STG for winter mornings.

Overall, very pleased. Fractionally bulkier than the Dainese Hellriders at the back of the hand, but superior for feel, protection, and cold temperature tolerance.

Still pleased with the purchase.
  7. Flux nice pair of gloves. Did you consider any other gloves such as the Knox Handroid or you were set on these? Also did you determine your size off the sbtg website or were you able to try on a Held glove elsewhere.
  8. The Knox Handroid looked gimmicky to me, so I didn't really consider them. I chose the Held Phantoms based upon glowing recommendations by the members of the track-jay junkie fraternity at triumph675.net. It was the glove that almost all of them recommended to save your hands in a crash.

I used the STG hand size guide to choose the glove size for me. The gloves I got fit well in all areas, except for the finger length (the gloves are a touch longer), but I have shortish fingers for someone with my hand size, and so that's true for me no matter what gloves I choose.
  9. Though a bit pricey I think it's a very fine glove to wear while riding. Like the STG review said if you can afford it and want to be safe it's the best glove to have.

I may consider one in the future.
  10. Flux do you think these gloves would be overkill for somebody who doesn't do any track days and only uses their bike for the daily commute and weekend rides but still clocks up 4-600 kms a week?
  11. I don't do trackdays much myself. At my present rate, only about 1/year, so that wasn't my primary reason for choosing them.

One of my accidents at the track resulted in me backhand-slapping the bitumen and breaking a chunk off my ulna, and then somehow I managed to punch the bitumen while tumbling which shattered the end of my radius (bone). That was at around 130kph. Yes, the speeds are higher than road speeds, but anyone can tumble at any time and I asked myself what my old gloves were doing wrong to allow those sorts of injuries.

In terms of impact protection, it's chalk and cheese compared to my old gloves. The old gloves offered decent abrasion protection, and many moderate quality gloves do, but when it comes to bone breaking forces you want something more than simply tough leather between your hands and the road. I'm reasonably sure that these gloves would've protected my wrist a lot better.

Overkill? The difference between breaking your wrists/hands? I'd say not, but that's my choice.
  12. So how are the gloves going after a few weeks?
  13. Still loving them. Minor gripe. With my old gloves, I could stuff them in the helmet, and put the helmet down. With these gloves they don't really fold up so easily, and so I can't do that unless I open the visor and half-poke them through.

Aside from that, very comfortable now that they've been through a few thousand km's of recreational road riding and bedded in nicely. I don't even notice them now, and I guess that's the greatest compliment that one can make about gloves. Fit well, comfortable, protect well, and you don't know that they're there.
  14. My pair of Phantoms arrived in the mail today. I can't wait to ride to work tomorrow, just to try them out. (It's going to be a chilly one, so I'll see how all that padding and kevlar helps with the cold.)
  15. Sounds like you should take a sick day. You know, to test out of the glove, for your personal safety
  16. Just picked up these gloves myself.

I can't believe the amount of feel that you get through the palms compared to the alpinestar GP2's that I had. It actually has more "feel" than the gloves I use for medical procedures. Different level of quality.

Is it worth taping the last 2 fingers to prevent injury? I presume its just the initial impact that causes the little finger injury so it wouldn't matter as much if the tape just came away?

I thought the titan's were just overkill for me.

17. I've been using them on a daily commuter for about 8 months now. For me it is peace of mind. I know that if anything happens my hands will be fine.
  18. How do these compare to the A-Stars GP Pro? They are about the same price.
  19. ........I love to ensconce my delicate phalanges in Gimoto's GP3