Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Heeeellllp !!! (scary experience with boot on tar)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Peaches, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Ok breathe in… breathe out… breathe in … breathe out…

This happened to me yesterday:

Going into a cul de sac that I’ve been practicing my U turns on for quite some time, I decided to one time yesterday try tackling it in second gear. I usually ride into the cul de sac in first, with the bike leaned a fair way (by an L plater’s standard anyhow), and accelerate out of there easy peasy.

When I went into it in second gear yesterday, something horrible happened – I leaned a lot further than I intended – but no panic, I thought I’d trust the bike and let it do what it does and just accelerate. All went well until I felt a horrible scraping sensation on the outer edges of my right boot!!! :shock:

It was the weirdest and scariest feeling I’ve ever felt, because my right boot was lightly kicked back. I absolutely HATED it. Anyway I managed to bring Peaches up fine, although I did pull up to a curb after because I was shaking quite badly. :sick:

I only felt the scrape for a split second, but it was enough to scare the crap out of me – has anyone else experienced this???? I think I leaned the bike too far + my right foot was leaning on the peg on tippy toes. When I got off Peaches to check my boot, I found a small scrape on the edge of the heel.

Jeff came tearing back when I didn’t follow him because he thought I’d crashed, but when he realised what happened he just said “well done†and I’m like WTF??? :shock: He then made me go into the cul de sac in first gear to “gauge†what could have happened. He said that even in first I was at a very steep lean so my foot probably touched the ground when I was in second. :oops:

Now, sorry for the long verbal diarrhea of a post, but here are my questions:

1. Has anyone experienced this before, if so, how did you feel – did you panic?

2. What is the right way of correcting the bike when this happens?

3. I thought CBR125s couldn’t go that low – anyone else with the baby Cibber who’s experienced this?

And most importantly –

4. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from ever happening again?

Thanks for reading…

R

2. it WILL happen again :wink:

3. Gargh but I DON'T want it to - call me a wuss but it was downright scary. :?

4. (1) The first time I scraped a toe was during the P-plate/full test in Victoria on a CB250. I didn't panic too much; It came as a shock but it was only a fleeting scrape. More of a "Duh, put balls of feet on pegs!" moment.

But what I did do is....
    (4) Riding with the balls of your feet on the pegs (rather than arches on pegs) will keep your toes above the 'peg feelers'. That'll give you a lot more ground clearance.

(But if you lean much further you'll hear/feel the peg feeler go "SKRRRRRRT!" across the ground. Not that this is a bad thing... Look up 'Gymkhana motorcycle' on Youtube and watch the videos of riders doing gymkhana with their pegs dragging constantly!)

If you still need more ground clearance because the pegs are touching down: leaning your body into the turn a little so that the bike can sit more upright will give you more ground clearance again. Don't have to hang off of the bike MotoGP style; just consciously lean inwards with your butt still on the seat.

5. It's scary at the moment because it's the first time it has happened and you were unprepared for it. When you get confident in cornering on twisty rods, you'll find yourself doing it deliberately :).

6. I don't want to know about 'cornering on twisty rods', Hornet. TMI! :LOL:

7. sigh, hoist on the typo petard :( :LOL:.

8. Scary? That's not scary! Let me tell you about scary...

Long time ago a mate of mine was riding along sedately on his XJ650 turbo (yes, that long ago). Suddenly, for no significant reason (maybe he just moved to get comfortable) his foot slipped off the peg. There was a violent wrenching sensation for an instant, and then... nothing. He felt cold at the end of his leg, looked down apprehensively and, at first glance saw... nothing there!
    Looking again (in sheer panic now), realised his foot was indeed still there (although hurting now at the ankle, but his boot and sock had disappeared!

He turned around, went back to the area of the incident, parked, and then hobbled around for a good ten minutes looking for the missing boot. No sign of it. Finally he gave up and limped back to the bike and as he approached, noticed a bit of leather poking out from between the frame and wheel, up around the shock. Wedged in there very firmly was his intact boot and sock.

He finally realised what had happened. the errant boot had slipped between the drive shaft and wheel, been grabbed and literally ripped off his foot before going around and getting stuck in it's final resting place. If the boot hadn't come off, his foot would have gone with it!!!:shock:

To this day he thanks the stars he didn't have tight fitting boots on that day!

Sliding a boot? That's why they put plastic sliders on the sides of sports boots, FFS.

9. Oooh! Scary moment! :shock:

I guess as others say it will happen again and it is good that you found the lean limit of the bike, you will learn how far that lean was and be able to know exactly when you are about to scrape. It was a positive event!

I think if I was leaning that far on the KLE to scrape a peg or boot then scraping would be the least of my worries!!! :)

Adam

10. My experience is like this:

1st time => scary
    2nd, 3rd, etc => fun

after a while it gets scary again. I just ride "normally" now.

11. Gargh, that would be freaky indeed. :? Glad your mate’s leg survived. On a sidenote though, I’ve ridden less than 8 times since I got my Ls last month, each session less than an hour long. I’m not very confident on Peaches as yet, so yes, that was a freaky experience for me. And my boots don’t have plastic sliders.

Can I get them as clip ons?

The bottom line however, is this – I didn’t like the sensation, and hope not to repeat it again. Apart from not going so low (although if I was going in speed/in a higher gear, that might be a problem) and not being a speed freak at Eastern Creek, is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening again?

Tips would be much appreciated.

BTW Most of you will be glad to know that I did not once trail the rear break into a corner this past weekend :grin: been mostly using the front for braking, and both rear and front when I need a quick stop!
    :wink:

12. Oh and thanks for tip/link Spots. I'm trying to imagine what you're describing, will have to try it next time I'm at the cul de sac...

13. If your toes truly were on the pegs instead of heels (which I doubt a little bit) then you were probably counterleaning like a mofo hence the lean angle. + Not having enough power in second might have resulted in the sudden 'fall' into more lean angle as power keeps you upright/pulls you up. You did the right thing accelerating - its a good reflex to have and if you didn't its likely you would have lost it.

When you become more familiar with cornering technique you'll find you can get much lower without scraping anything, and still being far from the bike's limits.

14. Next time you buy boots, look for them. They can be taken off or replaced, but not easily fitted to boots not designed to take them.
    If you're grinding them after a few hours riding, then I've got a feeling you will be needing them before too much longer :grin:

Like spots has said, make sure your feet are positioned so the balls of your feet (that's the front bit) are on the pegs, not the arch. This will give you more clearance, more control, and stop you from unconsciously trailing the rear brake when you don't intend to. It's still easy to slide the foot forward to brake if you need to. And also (like he said) you can also lean your upper body towards the inside of the corner, so you can then keep the bike more upright. Try it - you'll love it.

15. Peaches, if you were to do the Rider bros knee down course down here in Melbourne, they guarantee you will get your knee down at about 40ish kilometres! They took a gal straight out of her learners course and perservered and within the length of the knee down course, she was grinding her knee sliders.

Your experience clearly scared you, but trust in the knowledge that you were not in danger.

If you choose to keep riding with the arch of your boots on the pegs, i.e., toes hanging low, you will need to lean your upper body more into the corner to get the bike to lean less.

Please reread until understood.

+1 titus

16. Pictures for body positioning - hopefully this will help clarify my words. :)

For very slow riding, we do this:
    [​IMG]
    Rider upright, bike leaned into the turn past the rider

This allows the bike to turn a lot tighter than if it were completely upright, because of the rake on the front wheel's forks. But it costs ground clearance on the inside peg! This isn't usually a problem at U-turn speeds though.

So if ground clearance is an issue, we do this:
    mytiger.
    Body leaned slightly inwards so that the bike stands more 'upright'. This gives more ground clearance and helps prevent pegs/boots touching down.

You can see that the Tiger rider has the arches of his feet on the pegs rather than the toes/balls of his feet, though. His toes would scrape before the pegs in this case.

Different bike, from a better angle:
    cornering8.
    Once again - rider consciously leaning inwards slightly so the bike can sit more upright.

17. Scary story number two:
    Guy I used to work with used to have a problem with constantly breaking off footpegs on his trial bike so in a burst of inspiration decided to weld them solidly to the bike (I can sense experienced riders cringing already).

Sure enough not too later on the end of his foot hit the ground, and wrapped itself somewhat painfully around the now solid footpeg :shock:.

So as long as your foot is in the right spot, and the pegs aren't welded on, having it touch the ground isn't really a problem and is just something else to get used to.

18. HAHA Gauge that experience as the point of no return.

Any further and your probably leaning too much.
    The next logical step is to get the knee down....then the elbow (ahha).

Good work.

I've got boots with the toe sliders which is handy because when you wear normal shoes and it happens, the shoes kind of "grab" the road where as the sliders just make a skkkrrrrt noise and let you carry on being a hero.

19. Here's some advanced examples of getting the toes up out of the way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, don't be doing that on stock tyres! :) ;)

Owwwch @ JD :shock:

Good post Spots :)

20. Three words…
    “Move your Arseâ€
    If you are grinding, it is time to start thinking about how your body is positioned, and start moving your weight more effectively towards the inside of the turn.
    You should be moving your bumb over so that the inside cheek is partly (Or eventually fully) off the seat remember to move yourself around using your legs not your bars, as using the bars will unsettle the bike.
    As with everything start small and work your way up.