Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Heated Vests

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by ajrider, Jul 3, 2015.

1. I'm looking at the possibility of investing in a heated vest, but I don't know if what I want exists...

It seems as though there's two main types:

1) One that comes with a battery pack for hiking, etc.

2) One that comes designed to plug direct to the motorcycles battery supply.

Just to be difficult - I want both. :)

I was wondering if anyone has come across, or knows if it exists. (Effectively I'd like to be able to use my motorbikes power supply for long trips, but just use a battery for other non-motorcycle related activity) - and I don't want to buy two vests if one will do the job.

Has anyone come across one that does both, or has someone macgyvered something similar in the past and can advise if it's possible?

Also - on a separate note - just wondering for those who use heated vests what your thoughts are. A quick google search shows ones with multiple heat settings from 38c upwards beyond 50 degrees. I would have thought even 38 degrees reflecting back on ones self might be quite warm. Are they generally 'too hot' and only for cold frogs, or are they OK?
  2. I've used one of these in the past. Now that I'm in Brisbane it doesn't get a whole lot of use for what I hope are obvious reasons. :)

Heated Clothes, Heated Gloves, Heated Motorcycle Clothing - EXO┬▓

They're on the expensive side of things but as they use some fancy polymer for the heating elements rather than a thin copper wire, they're quite durable (whereas a friend in the US has been through several copper-wire heated vests). They can be powered by the bike or by battery pack (sold separately).

The vest/jacket itself insulates a bit on its own, even when not powered up, for better or worse.

A new product, though I've not used it:
    Main Jet Motorcycles discussed in Heated Vest Made in Oz - ADVrider

Skintight compression-wear with heating elements, so it's not as insulating when they're turned off. Battery power only. I have not used this product but I like the idea of the heated clothing not being insulating in-and-of themselves.

Regarding the temperature thing - I had the heat controller for the EXO2 vest, so I could select the amount of snugness on a scale of 1 to 10. ;) I wouldn't get too hung up about the "temperature" thing though. It's less about the 'temperature' of the vest and more about how fast heat energy is flowing into your body from the vest while the windchill and cold tries to suck the warmth from your body. The hotter the vest, the faster warmth will flow into your body.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. There's lots of home made instructions on Google.
  4. Thanks for the info.

GreydogGreydog - 'm not much good with DIY textiles, and if I attempted that I'd probably end up lighting myself on fire. :)

That new one from mainjet looks nice - thin, etc to be warn underneath. I do like the idea of non insulating too, so if the day warms up I don't have to strip, just turn off. But I'm looking for more of a vest / singlet than a sleeved one though - and something that can be dual run. (12v supply or own battery), but thanks.
  5. have you had a look at the milwaukee heated jacket or vest , Leroy
  6. Hi waldrowaldro - I just did a google search but could only find jackets, not vests.
  7. Don't be so soft! If you want heat then drive a car! Ha! J/K

I see the new 'armchair' Harleys come out with heated seats, grips etc as well as sell a range of jackets that plug into a socket on the bike to heat them along with gloves etc. Also CD player, GPS fairing venting, cruise control, ABS, internet access, riding mode selection...Geez if it wasn't for violation of Gods natural law then I'd make one my wife!
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. They say there are two kinds of people in the world;
    (1) Those who say heated grips are for softies and wimps.
    (2) Those who have used heated grips even once. :D

I must admit, I only got the vest for after-midnight rides in winter, heading home from Sydney or wherever I'd been. Without it I was truly suffering - I'd even divert along the slow coast road in the hope of it being just a little warmer!

But soon I was using the vest on cold winter days, too. And then even on fairly warm winter days... And in autumn and spring... ^_^
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. My thought on a vest isn't just for riding. It's for other activities off the bike (hence the question for one that doesn't just plug into the bike), but I figure if I'm going to get one - why not get one that will suit me on the bike as well. After all, being uncomfortable on a bike can tax a little on the attention span.

Taking a Harley with me on a hike might be a bit difficult. ;)

But I'm getting the feeling that a hybrid vest may not be as easy to find as I was hoping, and not as popular amongst riders as I thought it might be.
  10. Just wrap some under floor heating element around your jack plug in to 240 v should be nice and toasty haha.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. I have used heated grips a few time, in temps below zero. My wifes current bike has them fitted. I have found that while they are good at keeping the palms of my hands warm (a little too warm, even on the lowest setting), the tips of my fingers and and backs of my hands get just as cold.

I accept that the majority of people who have tried them also love them, more power to them. For me they would be a waste of money, I'd be better spending the money on a set of hand guards and using better quality gloves.
  12. don't recommend this way of keeping warm

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Just ordered one! I'll report back once it arrives
  14. I use this HEATED TRI-ZONE BASE LAYER SHIRT and must say I love it, only issue is the switch is on the sleeve so not too accessible with all your gear on. It has a quick heat setting, full power to heat up then switches automatically to low unless you select medium or high. It's a battery job, but great for a commute or two between charges, for an all day ride in the cold I'd say you'd have to go 12 volt wired to the bike
  15. #16 Greydog, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    I've got heated grips, plus just installed the barkbuster Blizzard covers bc the regular barkbusters didn't do the job. I get really cold and these help a lot. To indicate how cold I get, the grips are on at least low in all but quite hot weather.
  16. Ahem...I have heated grips, hand guards and expensive gloves yet I had to buy thin woollen gloves to wear under my winter gloves.....yes my hands were still cold!!!! Hopefully problem solved!!! It gets a bit nippy here !!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. There was a similar thread to this recently, or discussion in another thread. The best thing I saw there was an AEG heated jacket, that could be used both ways, on a lead, or with a battery.
    From Bunnings I think, but there were cheaper accessories available on eBay.
  18. I use a DIY heated vest during the cooler months. At 14 volts it's about 45 watts, so it's not a super high powered one.

If you're riding fast in cold weather then a heated vest or liner won't keep you warm in and of itself, mainly because of wind blast. Bear in mind that the heat from the gear is being countered by the cooling power of the wind. Hence, 38 degrees being omitted from the jacket will not feel like 38 degrees for your body. You still need to rug up appropriately, and even with wind-proof layers, the cold still gets through.

My cold weather upper-body gear consists of the following:
    Heated Vest
    Wind-proof mid-layer (nylon bomber jacket)
    Leather jacket
    Wind-proof outer shell (rain jacket)

This is has been enough to keep me comfortable in temperatures as low as -5c. (A proper winter jacket would probably help too.)

In short, I suggest getting the higher powered option, as long as you have a controller to turn it down when necessary.

Vis-a-vis this discussion about heated grips: they are not enough to keep your hands from freezing in single digit temperatures. I use them in conjunction with these:
    MAX Slip ON Motorcycle Scooter Quad Bike Bicycle Handlebar Hand Muffs Warmers | eBay
    I think these muffs are a fantastic product, but they only last about a year or so of daily use.
  19. Ordered Friday afternoon, arrived today (Wednesday) - good service.

First impressions:

Top has a feel of 'quality' about it. Material feels strong but soft and all the stitching appears to my untrained eye to be of high standard. In fact, comparing it to some of my skins/2xU gear, the seams seem (!) much more robust.

Fit is true to size, I'm a medium generally and this medium fits well.

Control (on wrist) is easy to use and once turned on (by holding button for 3 seconds) provides *instant* heat to the 2 panels on front. The panel on the back took a little longer to heat up (~15-20 seconds).

I'll update once I have tried on the bike this weekend.

Photos from unboxing:

IMG_20150708_150356. IMG_20150708_150427. IMG_20150708_150449. IMG_20150708_150711. IMG_20150708_150725. IMG_20150708_150812. IMG_20150708_150817.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1