Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Heated grips vs heated gloves

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Garido, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Hi all,

I know I'm thinking well ahead here, but the next winter is sure to come and I'm starting to consider my options. Have had a few people tell me they love their heated grips (but that is what usually happens once they've gone through the motion of paying for and installing them). On other MC sites, in particular in the US, there seems to be a lot of talk about heated gear (jackets, pants and - of course - gloves).

Was wondering if anyone over here has some experience with heated gloves as an alternative to heated grips. In particular I'm interested to find out how long they might last, if they break easily (given constant use of hands to accelerate, break, switch gears), how they perform in wet weather, etc.
  2. I considered heated gloves last year. Ended up getting a exo 2 heated vest instead. It keeps the hands nicely warm because it works a bit like central heating - circulation to the hands stays wide open no matter how much heat your hands are losing. The vest doesn't suffer the exposure to weather and wear and tear that gloves do.
  3. I've got a heated vest - lasts 4-6 hours depending on temperature outside as well as which setting I use. I have spare set of batteries so just change over at lunch break. Also have heated grips, woudn't ride under 10 degrees without either of them.

I've also used the heated grips on the lowest setting on days that aren't necessarily cold but where I have been riding for a long time as it stops my hands from cramping.
  4. advantage of heated grips is you can wear light gloves all year around.
  5. Heated grips are an expensive addition add on...

...you'll keep riding all the way through winter!

TnG is right, heated grips do allow you to wear lighter gloves, but I think heated gloves, if not too heavy, might have a slight edge. When you're in the twisties and trailing front brake into corners on a supercrisp day, those fingers aren't being warmed by the light gloves... I've often wondered whether you can get a heated brake lever.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Thanks for the feed back Tony. Is that a battery operated vest, or hooked up to the bike's electric system?
  7. Are the heated grips sufficient to warm your hands all around, or do you still get cold finger tips/hands on top from the wind chill?
  8. I found heated grips on really cold days only able to warm you palms if your gloves are thin. The tops of my hands and fingers still get very cold.
  9. Powered by the bike. There is an optional battery pack to use it away from the bike.
  10. I wear unlined kangaroo skin gloves all year round with not much drama. Occasionally get cold finger tips but I just turn up the heated grips. On weekends, I ride in the hills early in the mornings. Have other gloves with more protection on the top but rarely wear them.
  11. Maybe I should try the kangaroo, but the back of my fingers get cold, and the tips get cold when riding with set up brakes. I've considered putting hippo muff on the bike in winter - that'll cut out the windchill and the heat will be locked in.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. What is hippo muff??? I dare not google it!
    • Like Like x 3
  13. I have heated grips on all my bikes and the answer is it's going to depend on exactly how cold it is and how exposed your hands are to the wind, and how long you will be riding.

On the RT the fairing gives such good coverage that I usually wear summer gloves all year round and rarely put the grips on. On the Yamaha my hands are exposed and I certainly use them more and wear summer gloves less. For those who regularly get cold hands perhaps they need to consider some form of wind deflectors. The latest addition to my stable has these in a removable form and made from clear perspex so that you tend to look through them so they don't look as daggy as a more solid look.

Heated grips certainly add to comfort and most people who add them to their bike say that every future bike will have them. However if it gets really cold (like a -4C Icicle Ride) your body is shutting down blood/heat to your extremities to conserve body heat and if your not wearing proper warm clothing to keep your main body warm you are fighting a losing battle. Don't forget just how much heat is lost through your head so if you feel cold enough to switch on grips perhaps you also need a blaclava under your helmet.

Don't know anything about heated gloves but speaking from heated vest experience (have one but rarely use it) they would probably be more effective as I assume they would heat finger tips and wind exposed area of hands. However they also have the downside of either needing a lead to plug into the bike or issues with recharging and use time of batteries.
  14. Heated grips do work really well and using bikes electrics means no batteries to worry about, some heated gear is designed to plug into bikes electrics as well. Another option is mitts that cover the entire grip and lever assembly, acting as a great windbreak and keep gloves dry as well, depending on the ergonomics the only down side in rain the water can run down your arms to your gloves but even so not bashed by cool wind. Far from stylish but do work and I think they are under 100 bucks.
  15. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. Had a chat to my bro as well, who lives in the States (where heated clothing seems to be more prevalent). He suggested that any heated gear is a pain in the butt at the end, especially when dismounting on a regular basis. He is using heated grips and a one piece suit now, which gives him sufficient thermal protection to ride throughout their winter (San Fran - pretty similar to Melbourne weather wise).

I think I'll look around for some heated grips soon - which brings me to the next question: Which ones to get? Will have a look through the forums to see if covered before, but any honest feedback greatly appreciated.
  16. ive tried 2 types, an under grip element, and a set of oxford hot grips

the under grip elements allow you to use whatever grips you want but can be inefficient as they (left side more so) will heat up the bar before the grip.

the oxford hot grips have the element incorporated into the grip, they also come with a nice controller box

i prefer the oxfords personally, the only thing is that once the grips wear out, i can only imagine they wont be too cheap to replace
  17. Yes oxford grips are great, do find especially in the current hot weather they can get bit tacky and no doubt wear quicker, so pays to keep them in the shade in extreme hot sunlight, sure there is some irony in that :)

Had about 4 sets on various bikes and never had them fail or wear out even after doing over 50k+ and couple of years of use
  18. MIne are Oxford and hard wired into the ignition, so they automatically turn off when I turn the bike off. No chance of forgetting to turn them off amd come back to a flat battery.
  19. Oxfords are the usual choice and sem to work well. I have them on the Yam and Lizzy has them on the Honda. Mind you the grips on the Yam are so worn you can see the wre elements showing through. Got a replacement set but probably won't get around to fitting them before winter. Although if this heat keeps up I may never fit them