Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Heat treat brake discs.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by aimre, Jan 27, 2008.

1. OK, so i changed my pads on the bike, and i proceeded to bed the pads on the bike in the same fashion i do on the car.

A couple of 80 back to 20kmh stops.

No the thing it, i did front and back individually. And after a few 80km stops using back only, i kinda cooked em... whoops :oops: :oops:

My back disc is this sorta colour

Is this bad? :grin:
  2. That is not how I would bed new pads or a new disc in on a bike. :?

Gently, gently, with plenty of cooling in between, until everything is bedded in.

I cooked a couple of discs through general use before I upgraded brakes. The non-floater warped like a dog bowl and became utterly useless. The semi-floater ended up getting hairline cracks, about 20 of them. :shock:
  3. Thanks for the link, that's something I'll set some time aside for later and read. Looks interesting, especially the "removing the mystery" part.

All I've known is that while everything is new, particularly a new disc but also new pads, it's as if you're operating with a much much smaller surface area of disc to pad, hence the incredible heat generated early on. I've always tried to avoid that.
  4. I dunno if you can get that tempering removed from those rotors (I am thinking heat treating), but I'd probably be replacing them.
    Long term, I think those rotors will not stop as well, and they could develop cracking.
    I think your mistake was that a bike is nowhere near as heavy as a car, with much smaller pads, and requires less bedding in.
    I tend to only do several fairly mild stops on new bike pads, then use lightly for a few km's.

Regards, Andrew.
  5. I read your whole article aimre, and it seems that their entire point is that you need to bring the pads up to their optimum operating temperature in order to lay down a Transfer Layer. All well and good, but I know for certain you don't need to be doing aggressive stops from 100km/hr to bring them up to (and beyond) operating temperature, as you have shown well with your disc. :shock:

+1 to typhoon on the car/bike thing.
  6. +1 Those different colours mean very different tempers - this could easily lead to warping, cracking and/or corrosion. Heat treating the rotor as a whole would be capable of fixing it, but replacing them would probably be cheaper.
  7. Doesnt feel warped.

Ill keep an eye on it for cracking