Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Heat stress and camelbacks

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by raven, Feb 25, 2012.

1. It's been really hot these past few days, and you newer riders, even more experienced riders who venture out in it, MUST own and use their camelbacks or similar.
    And it's not there for the occasional sip when you feel thirsty!
    It's there for you to be regularly and constantly taking on water...so empty and refill it again throughout the day.

If you are wearing vented gear and you keep swetting then that's outstanding! :)
    It will help cool you down, as you ride.

If you aren't swetting, then you are already in trouble, and must take on fluids!

Heat stress is an insidious thing. It creeps over you without you feeling it, but other will recognise it, by your riding or speech at a rest stop. You see.... Your mind is playing tricks on you. To yourself you can sound quite normal, but what everyone's else sees is stupid riding, and distant, stupid speech.
    You have become a few snags short of a barbecue, and unless your mates are arskholes and just ride off after telling you to rest for a while, you've just more or less ended the days riding for everyone, because it could be 2hrs and a lot of fluids while laying in the shade, before you'll start returning to normal.

If you are by yourself, then you run a high risk of rag-dolling off an embankment, tree or car. Usually accompanied by the sound of bone when it snaps like a dry twig.

The alternative is to stop regularly and take on water from the bottles you are carrying. Make sure you take a lot in, at each stop.

Oh! And get yourself a set of 'skins'. These are brilliant on so many levels, but the relevant parts is, that they will absorb your swet and keep you cool with vented gear. If you're in full leathers, then unzip them half way and let the air flow in them.

Oh, if you are already in the hospital, sorry this was not mentioned earlier in the season. (unless I missed it)
    • Like Like x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  2. If you have mesh, put it under the hose, then ride, airconditioning for at least 20 minutes.
  3. When I saw the heading, I thought it was going to be a discussion on camels, moose and their various anatomical bits, but no it was words of wisdom from the Raven.=D>(y)

4. Wow... that post is unreal Smee, i never realised dehydration could do that to you! Makes me reconsider a few things i do on hot days! Thanks!

I come from a very mild tempered place when it comes to the weather where the temperature ranges between 4-25 degrees normally. From memory the hottest summer we had was 28c and coldest was 0c. I had happily been a squid for 10+ years of riding there. This being my first summer in melbourne with a motorbike i have just gone without protective gear on 30+ days on my daily commute and never given a second thought to it apart from the consequences if i was to come off. This very informative post has just made me realise of an equally important if not greater danger, DEHYDRATION!!

I will certanly take this into consideration from now on, specially today!! Thanks Raven for the heads up!! Appreciate it!!
  5. When you use your camelbak, blow the water back into the bladder each time you use it otherwise the water that has been sitting in the tube get warm from the sun and you dont want the first mouthful to be warm when you're thirsty.
    Also there are many brands available in cycling and campin stores. Try to get one with a net that vents your back. it keeps the backpack from resting against your back and making get hot and sweaty. Another tip is do not use drinks containg sugars as the sugar can gel up in the bladder, water is the best. After you use the bladder, empty it out each time and air them out otherwise they can get mould in them. You can buy cleaning tablets for the bladders at good camping and cycling stores.
    Stay hydrated, stay sane...
  6. I've been on a hike where one of our kids got dehydrated to the point he was passing out. That was scary.

When you need water, thirst isn't always the first indicator that you need a drink. Sometimes when you've only been on the road for an hour or less and are already felling fatigued, this could be a sign of dehydration.

Ca,elback are probably the best you can get. Yes they're expensive, but they are tougher than almost anything and more reliable than the cheaper brands.
  7. Just so it's kept real, this is an annual post that is done every summer, by different members.
    This year it appeared to have been forgotten, so It was just my turn to post it for the greater good. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Had an old boy collapse out side my house today with heat stress. He was completely incoherent and out of it, got some water in to him and came to pretty fast. Luckily his family was near by but that sh*t can definitely catch you unawares, turns out he hadn't had anything to drink all day except for 2 coffees.
    Caffeine will keep you awake but will dehydrate you in no time as well so if you feel the need to down a energy drink its safe to take in a bit of extra water as well on hot days.
  9. Yeah Kanga and unfortunatly the 'old boys' tend to be the worst offenders for not drinking water, I work at the blood bank and the amount of 'old boys' who say yeah I've had enough fluids before giving up 500ml's of it, who then feel unwell because their idea of 'enough fluids' is a couple 'o cuppas (tea or coffee). Sheesh how hard is it to drink water? The best thing in the world for hydrating you is water eh, makes ya feel good and dont taste bad eh?

Anyways this thread is spooky as I went for a bit of a ride today, just a few blockys round town, it's not hot here today bout 28 or so, and it's overcast so kinda deceptive, but I was starting to feel hot and thirsty. So I called hubby and camped at the nearest cafe with a litre of water to wait for him for lunch. I wasnt feeling bad just knew I was hot. So as I sat there waiting for hubby (who is never on time ](*,)), I decide to check out netrider on my phone, first post I come across is this one.

Was almost like a sign or something ... spooky.
  10. Prior to the bike my daily drivers have been convertibles. In high summer with the roof off you can start to feel the affects of heat stroke and/or dehydration in as little as 20 minutes. The cooling breeze whilst moving masks the symptoms to some degree. I usually carry water wherever I go or stop to grab a drink en route.

Insufficient water at this time of year also increases the incidences of kidney and gall stones. The most intense pain you may ever feel will probably be the first time you have kidney stones as they slowly travel from the kidneys up the urethra and out. This is assuming they are small enough to make the journey by themselves. If not they are likely to cause a blockage that can lead to kidney failure. Uric acid stones are also covered in sharp angled bits.

Trust me when I say morphine is over-rated. Pethedine works better as pain relief. No wonder they give it to women in labour. BTW, the women I've spoken to who have given birth and had kidney stones all agree that the pain from the stones was worse. It usually last longer too.

Moral of the story is drink at least 2 litres of water per day on top of anything else you might drink. On a hot day aim for 3 litres or more.
  11. Simple rule taught to us in the fire brigade - if you dont need to pee them you havent drank enough

Hot days if you're riding aim for 600ml an hr of water

And pre-hydrate before you leave

Sent from over there
    using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ^^^ That hurt just reading it.

EDIT: oh, too slow.
  13. Definitely need to keep the fluids up.
    I've wondered how Cool Vests like these (or similar) might help:
    seems to be a lot of +ve feedback about this one and "No chemicals, gels, cords or refrigeration are required to activate the cooling process." just add water.
  14. Yes. These work!

But you still need to drink some water.
  15. So, what sort of camelbaks are people using? Do you prefer the skinny, reservoir only types, or ones where you can pack some other cargo in too?

ETA: Further, what sort of capacity are people using?
  16. Raven, as usual, good information.

If it hasn't already been said, let me add, if you are thirsty, it's too late. If your pee is really dark and stinks, it's too late, also if you are drinking lots but you aren't peeing, it's too late. You are already dehydrated.

One word of warning, and this is something I only found out late last year, it is possible to drink too much water. There was a recruit admitted to hospital because he had consumed 10 to 15 litres of water in 2 hours. He thought he was doing the right thing, well it cost him two days on the ward.
  17. My jacket has a pouch in the back for a water bladder. I use a 1.5lt bladder with a 2lt bottle in the ventura bag to refill with. The 1.5lt bladder goes in the fridge the night before and the 2lt bottle is 1/2 to 3/4 filled and put in the freezer. In the morning the 1.5lt bladder goes in the pouch, the 2lt bottle is topped of with cold water and put in the bag.
  18. I was looking for a new backpack anyway, and was looking at the Cloud, which has a 2l pouch and room to put some other stuff.
  19. Camelback is the industry leader in both technology & function. There is a lifetime warranty on the packs(excluding general wear and tear) The new antidote bladder system makes re-filling super simple so you wont need to remove the bladder from the pack which is great for motorcyclists. All plastics are medical grade and BPA free, so no plastic taste nor smell. If you guys are looking at doing camelbacks I may be able to arrange a deal for netrider(I work for camelback) so if you have questions etc let me know.

PS It doesnt need to be stinking hot for you to dehydrate either ;)