Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Heat Shield coming off...

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by lotus7, May 25, 2006.

1. Well, with <2000km on her, the heat shield on the fairings has nearly completely come off :mad: I would not expect this kind of problem on a newish bike. So, does anyone know of a suitable adhesive that will not eat the plastic fairings but will hold the heat shield in place? Its right near the headers so I think its pretty much a requirement to prevent damage to the fairings...

Im hoping to reuse the existing heat shield as:
    1) its already cut to the right shape
    2) ive tried 4 different stores and not been able to find the right stuff

Any suggestions welcome.

2. If you bought it new i would be going back and making a scene at where you got it from.
    Thats really bad quality.

3. I considered that, but having seen the quality of work they do im not keen to take the bike back to them to resolve the problem.. Why did it come off? I suspect it has something to do with speed - but I could be wrong. Ive noticed all sorts of things that were never a problem on the Aprilia due to the gixxers speed... even velcro on helmet strap comes undone...

4. Heat shield damage - was it something like this?
    [img:500:299:20b2f93f5e]http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2005-07/18675694.jpg[/img:20b2f93f5e]
    If so I'd get it looked into.

5. Actually, looks alot like ally foil on cardboard all scrunched up..
    Im thinking a plastic friendly araldyte should bond sufficiently to prevent the 'wind' catching the edges and lifting it up again.

Luckily its still useable as the gixxer does not require re-entry into the earths atmosphere..

6. I can't remember the specific name, but there is a heatproof black adhesive made by Bostick for sticking sound deadening mats in car engine compartments. It stays sort of rubbery so vibration won't crack it like an epoxy.

7. Because of teh heat, I'd be looking at either a urethane (like Sikaflex) or maybe a soft setting gasket adhesive like Permatex.
    Another option could be good old high temp silicone, it makes a good adhesive.
    You'll need something with a bit of flexibility to it, Araldite won't have it, and also softens with heat.
    Make sure you degrease everything thoroughly.

Regards, Andrew.

8. yeah i second the silicone, ive heard of it being used to seal head gaskets and what not. So heat = no issue.