Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Heat and bikes

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Riderman, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Hi I am new and was wondering how heat affects carby bikes
    My vtr i think is air-cooled and if i sit in traffic (40 degree day) the temp slowly crept past halfway then 3/4 of the way before i turned the engine off in traffic.

Is this normal, or am I lacking efficient coolant?

I know in cars for example even on a 40 degree day if it goes to halfway or more something is wrong.
  2. VTR250's a liquid-cooled bike. The radiator's right behind the forks.

It'll automagically turn on the fan if it needs to (you might feel your legs getting quite warm as the hot air is dumped onto your thighs/knees).

It's not abnormal for bikes to get quite warm in traffic - at least, the bigger bikes do. I never had my VTR250 running its fan in traffic, but who knows.

If the fans run and the temperature doesn't come under control, then you should be concerned.
  3. I would be getting the function of the thermo fan checked, all the same. The thermostat could be crook, the fan blades could be being blocked by an obstruction (a stone off the road, most likely) or the fuse that controls the fan could be blown.