Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Headphone recommendations

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Shoey, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Headphones

Hi all

I'm a relative new rider and fear that I may get a little bored without some sort of music to listen to, especially on the longer rides. Rode on the weekend with my headphones from my ipod, not bad but had a little trouble with them coming loose under the helmet.

Does anyone else use headphones? Any suggestions of the best ones to use?

Thanks in advance. :grin: :grin:

2. You get bored riding?

Mate, you need to get off the cruiser!
  3. Gwt a pair of ear mold head phones made up!! that way the are sculptured for your ear so they fit perfect AND they will help Reduce all the background noise
  4. I have some of the Sony Fontopia earbuds, similar to those here.

They do the job quite well, and have been a steadfast companion for many thousands of km's.

They have two downsides:
    With external noise blaring, such as that found inside my helmet, they remain good for treble but the bass sound simply is not there.

Although they attenuate external noise well, they don't quite reduce it enough. With no music, used as earplugs, they are ok but not great.

With music, it is good enough but I think I can attribute some of my tinnitus to trying to drown out the noise that leaks in with music.

The cord is also starting to fray near one of the earbuds, understandable enough given the treatment it has already survived.

As a result, I am taking a very close at the Etymotic er-6i headphones instead - I think they will be even better.

5. Earplugs with leads. Yes :cool: these could be very good. Probably easy to get compared with the fitted / moulded ones.
  6. You're already bashing your eardrums about from the wind noise, now you wanna chuck a few extra decibels in there? Better turn it up loud so the bass is PUMPIN.

/Tinnitus sucks
  7. are you guys aware that other manufactures have the "Plugs with speaker" type?

Philips, Sony, Panasonic, Koss all have their own version available.

The sit way above normal earbud type headphones for both delivering bass, and minimising ambient noise.
    But moulded plugs would be better IMO - especially for blocking the external sound.

I have a pair of the Koss ones if anyone wants to buy them from me for $30.
  8. Headphones aren't earplugs, they don't cut out the damaging frequencies or the volume.

You do permanant hearing damage to yourself if you ride without plugs. Throwing more noise at your ear drums to drown out the sound will only make it worse.

If you must have music - get some earmould plugs made up. They offer reasonable protection and you can get them with speakers embedded.

There's a decent article here about helmet noise and also one about earplugs here.
  9. Or buy a K1100, four speaker stereo, great for any day!
  10. Good choice!
    I use 'em daily.