Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

headlight protector for a road bike: brief write-up.

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by twainharte, Sep 29, 2006.

1. scoured the net for options. not many: acrylic and an adhesive type(think clear contact).

was tempted to try to make one myself after seeing other peoples ideas(notably bmw riders)

but finally settled for the "pre-made" variety.

two likely local candidates were 'amhp'(based in queensland) and 'ventura'(aust. wide).

i went for the later as they were cheaper and i could pick it up without too much hassles.

upon receiving the item i noticed some slight scratches on the acrylic.

as per the instructions i cleaned headlight and acrylic and stuck on the velcro tabs.

instructions specify to use 3 velcro tabs but i used 4 since i noticed that the velcro looks deceptively weak.
    i guess i'll find this out when i go out for a fang.

my main concerns are that:

a) it may fall off while in transit.

b) i'm not sure how the adhesive on the underside of the velcro tabs will react, if at all to the heat of the headlight.

c) it's very easy for somebody to steal since it's only secured by velcro.

anyhoo, if it prevents any further damage i guess it's worth the $AU33.

note: i'n not affiliated with any of the names mentioned above. just your average rider parting with some information that may or may not be of any use.
  2. There is also that really thick contact type stuff you can get for cars. It has worked well for me in the past on various autos.
  3. Lite Skinz. It works and looks a damn site better than that
  4. 3M's Scotchcal paint protection film

yep. something i've also looked into for the headlight as well as tank.

who knows, if this piece of over priced plastic falls off i may try the film :LOL:
  5. I've used an AMHP cover since I bought my Hornet over 12 months ago, done about 14,ooo k's and its never failed me, or lookedl ike falling off, doesn't mark, and as its as clear as the headlight, and no-one notices it. They all assume its the glass of the headlight itself, and who in their right mind would try to steal the glass out of your headlight?!
  6. As mentioned lite skins is the way to go. But as for what you have bought i had a ventura light cover on the gpx when i bought it. Now i can assure you it wasnt still attached with the velcro set up. Obviously someone didnt have the velcro or got sick of it falling off, so they just used a dob of silicone on each corner.