Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Headlight Modulator Legality

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by vic, May 3, 2005.

1. Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 1999
    Version No. 014
    Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 1999
    S.R. No. 29/1999
    SCHEDULE 8--VEHICLE STANDARDS
    PART 8--LIGHTS AND REFLECTORS
    Division 2--Headlights
    (3) A motor cycle may be equipped with a headlight modulation system that--
    (a) varies the brightness of its high-beam headlight or low-beam headlight,
    but not both, at a rate of at least 200 and at most 280 flashes a minute;
    and
    (b) is designed to operate only in the daytime.

2. well well well

3.  Top
  4. I asked about this when doing my L's course but the instructors (HART) didn't know what I was talking about.

I am assuming it would create a strobe like effect...
    Is this simpley to make yourself more visable? would you have the light constantly strobing?
    have I got it completely wrong?

Can someone explain why you would want this on your bike?

:D

5. It creates a very rapidly flashing light. The idea is to make the bike more visible by catching a drivers attention (flashing light will more likely catch your eye). The modulator is hooked up to a switch so that you can turn it on/off. Basically they are to be used in a situation where you have/think you have less of being seen. This could be approaching an intersection with a car waiting to turn across in front of you, driving in heavy traffic around town or city.

Bascially you use them to INCREASE your chance of being seen and therefore your safety on the road. They are not everyones cup of tea.

I hope this information helped. However it is only my understanding on them having never owned one or seen one in the flesh operating.

You can download a 10sec quicktime movie of one operating on the website posted above.

6. Thanks Josh.

Kind of what I thought but wanted confirmed. :)

Unfortunately I am in a different build at work today and the link to the main building is tiny so no multimedia content for me I'm affraid!

7. for those on slow internet, who can't download the video, here's a text only simulation of a Headlight modulator:

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

8. pfft headlight modulators pffft, wanna be seen then go buy a HID kit!

9. Hooohooohooohooo, you are SO funny!!!

10. I almost pissed my pants after reading that...

11. To revive a slightly out of date thread........ :?

1/ Does anyone use a headlight modulator? Opinions?

2/ Does anyone know where to find the specific regulations about them in SA? Legal or not in SA?

Cheers.....

12. Consider that an oncoming vehicle waiting to turn right across your path or waiting to enter an intersection from your left will think upon seeing one of these, that you are flashing the high beam as an offer of giving way to them, then guess what???........................................................You could well be on your asse!

I say danger and just begging to get smashed.

13. They don't "flash" the high beam, they simply dim the low beam slightly, it's not that drastic of an alternation of the light intesity where it may fool other idiots in cars to thinking its a flash of the high beams.

14. Huh? :p
    Have you downloaded the file from their site? It certainly looks like the headlight is flashing. In fact it looks exactly as your headlight would if it was on low beam and you repeatedly press your high beam flash button.

15. No I haven't.

The one that I saw in action behaved in the exact way that I mentioned.

If some manufacturers are stupid, then that is not my problem ;)

16. Vic is correct.

Flash rate is 4 flashs/second. And its not strictly a flash, it varies the intensity without shutting off the light.

cheers.

17. Huh? I was taught that flashing your lights when approaching an intersection indicated that you were coming through the intersection, similar to honking your horn as warning. Used when people think you might be going to stop, perhaps if lights are changing but you can't stop, or someone has started pulling out in front of you. In Victoria anyway. Maybe I might use the lights as a general attention getter, much like the horn, to then signal to someone to turn in front, but only if I had stopped.

Similar to flashing headlights to say, "I'm about to overtake you" to an inattentive driver. Certainly I have flashed my bike lights at someone who was edging forward to make a right turn in front of me, and I mean "Keep your head in you impatient bastard."

I think the flashing headlights to overtake idea is still in the learners book, but I could be wrong.

When did flashing headlights become, "come on through, I'll give way to you, even if I am moving at the speed limit"?

By the way Vic, nice hook to start a thread. :grin:

18. I use a flashing LED headlight on the pushie in the daytime and it's saved my ar*e numerous times. It's far more visible than an unblinking light. Figure I'll fit one to the Honda as well.

Also run a flashing red rear light and it's noticeable how cars give you more room when passing.

19. I just clip one of those bike red blinking lights to my jacket, just below the helmet at night time. It may be funny when the cars see the blinking in the distance and wonder why can't they catch up with the pushbike :LOL: :LOL:

Will

20. there are a few bikes in Bundaberg with these kits,

their kit flashes from low to high beam, when you see them coiming up to an intersection the first thing i think of is police/ambo bike in a hurry