Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Headlight/Hi-beam question

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by FLYREX, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Hi guys,

I have an '06 R6 and I have a query regarding that push to pass/hi-beam button. I haven't ridden it at night yet so I'm not sure what the answer to my question is.

See at the moment, when you start the bike, the little centre light and the right headlight comes on. The left side stays off and only comes on if you click the push to pass/hi-beam button. So my question is, is the left light an actual hi-beam like that of a car (which would blind on-coming traffic if I were to keep it on) or is it a "hi-beam" in that I now have two headlights on in lieu of one.

Basically I just want to know if I can ride around with all the lights on all the time coz it kind of looks like I have a blown headlight with only the right side on. ](*,)

Here's a pic:

2. I know on the late model Honda's only one headlight stays on normally then two for high beam. But Yamahas usually have both low beams on all the time (please correct me 06 R6 owners). My '01 R1 always runs 2 on low beam and high beam activates on both headlights.

So unless a '06 R6 owner corrects me check the left bulb to see if its blown. I'm sure your getting bored of the "hey mate one of your headlights is blown" that CBR owners suffer all the time.

just my 2 cents
  3. Ok so I spoke to a guy at Evolution Yamaha and his advice was that the left side is a high beam just like that in a car.

He did however advise that although you're not supposed to ride around with it on, that he does on his bike since it aids other road users being able to see him.

I can see his argument and I actually agree with him, but I'm not sure which way to go with this.

Any thoughts?
  4. put a dual hi/low beam globe in the other side and then you'd need a relay and some wiring. Add some basic soldering skills and bammo laughing.