Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Headlight blowing out

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Eric, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Why is that my Lead Light always blows, in the dark coming home on the SE Freeway!!!!!

My last 4 all met the same fate, all fine when I left work I get of at Forster road and Noting but darkness...........................

2. I thought a lead light was one of those things mechanics plugged in and used to help them see under your car. Perhaps that location on the way home is equal to the length of your extension cord?
    Or, Murphy's Law (the Edison corollary).
    Or, that's the only time you use the headlight, and you have an alternator that is overcharging, and that is how long the bulb takes to blow? (Does your battery boil dry as well?)
    Actually, I don't think I have a useful suggestion :wink:

3. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

4. Hmmm, lead light windows are notoriously fragile on the front of a motorbike.......... :LOL:

5. Check the mount to see if the globe is secure.

If the globe is suffering from excessive shake it may cause it to blow quicker?

6. Sometimes that's just what you need.

7. Ok its head light forgive the typo, but I think its that F'ing Murphy Charater......................

8. yep - he gets around a bit!

9. Long shot but try checking the voltage of your bike's electrical system - if it's running too high (ie regulator is stuffed) then it could be causing the globes to burn out quicker.

10. Heard someone comment that after replacing a globe the new one failed soon after and then another shortly after that.

They took the bike to get the electrics checked out and was told there exists differences between regular globes for cars versus specific globes designed for bikes. It was claimed that specific bike globes can tolerate higher vibration levels!!
    Urban myth??

11. I have a regular car bulb in my bike.....
    I'd check that any rubber mounts for the headlight stil exist or are not buggered, excess voltage as suggested, and finally, you aren't touching the replacement bulbs with your fingers when you install them? This wil cause a bulb to blow.

Regards, Andrew.

12. Don't touch the glass of the globe when you are fitting the replacement one as your fingers will leave an oily residue (a finger print). This is enough to cause a heat distortion and cause premature failure.