Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

heading to the mechs tommorow, how much should i be paying?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Filo01, Aug 23, 2007.

1. I'm bring in my bike to the mechs tomorrow cbr250rr 1992 & i was wandering wat i should be looking to pay? i don't want to be over quoted

-new chain/sprockets
    -carb tune & sprak plug replacement(bike running far to rich, me & old man have looked bike over)

don't need a basic service changing the oil(fork,coolant etc) i can do that myself & they over charge anyways

i currently live in Melbourne Vic, eastern subs
  2. i'd say you'd be lucky to get out of it for under 350-400 bucks. carbie tune on a cbr is a bit of a pain from what i understand. chain and sprockets alone will be about $180+labour. sparks are 10 bucks each

3. awesome ty, hopefully i could possibly talk them into trowing in a full service for 450 :D, i'll try my luck tomorrow morning
  4. you would be lucky if you got just the full service (thats head off and valve clearance check) for $450, never mind the chain, sprockets, sparkies and tune.

i would be looking to pay anywhere up to a grand for that lot mate
  5. damn, hopefully the crab tune comes under warranty, the dealer i bought the bike from promised me a 3month warranty, i know the chain/sprockets won't i dropped the bike :(. Don't really need a full service i can do that myself in my garage
  6. just came back from the mechs, got quoted 330$ for a new sprocket & chain(there installing it)

40$ front s
    60$ back s
    180$ chain
    80$ labor

he gave me alittle discount which was pretty good, what does everyone think, good value? i was considering installing myself, but that would cost me 300$ anyways
  7. $180 for a chain... ive never bought one before ... damn i didnt think they would cost that much
  8. not a bad price for the chain and sprockets plus fitting

depends what you buy, if you buy some cheapo heavy duty non ringed chain then you can pay as little as $60,

for a top rated DID or similar O or X ring they are getting on for that price.

My last one was a DID X ring 530 114 link and cost me about $190 IIRC
  9. mine, last month;
    DID 530/119 XW $180
    Front Sprocket $15
    Rear Sprocket $35

:p :p :p

trade discount through work :LOL:
  10. ty, just the kind of answers i wanted, i'm dropping the bike off to the mechs this morning, hopfully they can get it dun before monday [-o<
  11. damn, hopefully the crab tune comes under warranty, the dealer i bought the bike from promised me a 3month warranty[/quote]

Warranty cover manufacturing faults, not basic maintenance - thats your responsibility.
  12. About 280 for chain and sprockets + fitted.

So all up, maybe 350-400.

But they'll probably find other things that could use doing. I got some stuff done and whilst they were 'under the hood' they did alot of other stuff (which I hadn't explicitly asked for) without charging extra for it as they were just minor things here and there.
  13. sadly they only did wat i asked for, i'm currently looking for a better mechic atm. to bad there so few mechs that can import all the cbr250rr parts that i need quickly.
  14. When I did my chain /sprockets the prices were as follows:

front sprocket: 40
    rear sprocket: 60
    chain: 120ish (rx ring)

that was from team moto honda in slacks creek