Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

head stem bearing f$%k up

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Rip, Apr 19, 2009.

1. I'm currently in the process of replacing the head stem bearings of my VFR, and was a bit brutal in removing the race on the bottom of he stem.

There are now a couple of gouges of the stem with raised burrs, and a small section of he base of the stem (where the bottom of the race mates with the lower triple tree) has been deformed up where I used a screwdriver to separate the race and the stem.

So, do I
    - file it down and hope for the best. There are few old gouges, so someone did this before me;
    - take it to a machinist and get them to turn it down, or
    - start looking for a new stem?

2. The first one.

Make sure there are no sharp edges and, more importantly, no sharp bottomed nicks to act as crack initiators and you'll be fine.

And next time either buy/improvise the right tools or take it to someone else who can :wink: .
  3. Locktite do a product that helps in situations like this. You will need heat to get id off next time, but many people do it that way anyway.