Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Head shaking between gear changes

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by listek, Aug 21, 2009.

1. I know it's most likely a geometry thing with the bike but my Fazer FZ6S gets a real wobble through the handlebars up under hard acceleration when shifting between 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. It doesn't bother me too much as I don't mind the feeling of the bike moving about, and as it's only momentary it's not going to graduate into anything more serious. I'm just curious what causes it. I'm thinking it's due to the back squatting and the front coming up, hence changing the head angle, plus the fact that there's only very light contact between the tyre and the ground.

Anyone have any thoughts here?

2. I think your thoughts may be correct. Check what inputs you're giving to the bars when hard charging though as I'd expect a bit of a waggle rather than a 'real wobble'. Road surface may play a part too.
  3. Could also be the headstem bearings, (Centrestand?) If so, lift the front off the ground & wiggle back & forth, make sure it doesn't stick or feel notchy.
  4. Wobble

Hold your neck muscles tight & your head won't wobble!
  5. You've probably got the front wheel slightly off the ground and off-centre. When you change gears it contacts again and straightens itself.