Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Head on

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by bionic man, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Heading to town today (driving not riding) i approached a T intersection i gave way to a duel cab hilux heading north bound.
    I turned out on the HWY behind the Hilux heading north. Gathered speed up to 80km/h, aprox 100m behind the hilux. At the next corner a south bound ford Falcon sedan vered right straight into the hilux in front of me at HWY speeds.
    I hit the anchors (im glad i never tail gate) in disbelief & ran over to assist.
    Both ladys were alive but in total shock.
    The lady in the 4x4 jumped out of her hilux with bleeding legs i asked her if she was ok at sat her down. The lady in the car was in so much shock i told her not to move (incase she had spinal injuries) & comforted her till police & ambo's arrived which was around 10 to 15 minutes.
    As i left the accident scene i realised if i didn't giveway to that hilux i most likley would have been in that accident.
    Recovering from a severe spinal injury myself from a bike accident just 6 weeks ago it would have done wonders for my back. I currently have 2 nine inch titanium rods & 8 screws holding my spine together & have indured enough pain this year.
    We never know what lies around the next corner.
    Safe travels to everyone.

2. What was her reason for being on the wrong side of the road?

Very lucky no one was killed.

I hope the police took your statement???

3. Mate congrats on your patience as well rendering assistance where some would 'just keep going'...
    Hope your back heals well and fast enough for you to enjoy riding again sooner rather then later.

4. Im guessing she took her eye's off the road for that split second. She was travelling through a left hand bend so taking her eye's off the road would make her vere to the wrong side of the road. Just my guess all happened in a split second.

I did give my statement
    Thanks goddie hope i will too so i can enjoy all this beautiful sun.
    Ya take it for granted sometimes when your well.

5. Fark mate, go buy yourself a lottery ticket.

Cam

6. good to hear that there will be one less complacent? driver on the roads from now on ;)

7. Shysta..! I must say..as I ride I am very wary of this, always thinking,what if this, what if that etc...but it is very tiring, I sometimes find myself day dreaming, not fully alert.. But, you just have to be. The amount of bike riders I see following so close in a spot where they have no where to go, not enough time and no visibility in front..it really does amaze me. You're so vulnerable on a bike, yet, so many riders dont seem to think so.